Running Siemens M34 USB on WHS (+Skype) RRS feed

• General discussion

• Hello there,

A while ago, I acquired a Siemens DECT (cordless phone) to use at home in my office. I opted for Siemens first because they’re a market leader in DECT phone, and also because they had an interesting product called M34; a USB device which would allow a computer to join your DECT set-up.

With the M34 device you could do things such as remote control your computer over the telephone, have Skype calls routed to your phone system and other sorts of data transmission between your PC and DECT set-up. I got the M34 with the objective to set it on a home server, as soon as I could get one.

However, the M34 software was built around a desktop perspective. That is, its supporting software that communicates with the device were built to interact with users that are logged in into the PC (in technical terms, the M34 software was not designed to be ran as a Windows service).

I managed to make some very good progress, but there is still some work to do! I would like ot know if there is nayone out there with some interest in helping me out with this project... The following is a copy of my post in the Skype forums:

I am currently on a quest to make the Siemens M34 USB device to work on Windows Home Server (WHS) as a service. The idea is to be able to use my telephone system to control the server, and as well to eventually use Skype.

I have so far spent over 18 hours on this issue almost non stop. This is what I was able to do so far:

1. Install the M34 device on the WHS with its device drivers. It works perfectly from the desktop.
    2. Remove the M34 support applications from running when a user logs in, and make them run as a service instead. I have created an account called desktop_svcs with I'll be using to run all my desktop-driven applications.
    3. My Siemens phones can now communicate with the WHS and issue commands such as running scrips and applications (e.g.: iisreset, restart the server, etc)

As for Skype...

3. I managed to install Skype (I installed the version which came with the latest M34 drivers I downloaded from Siemens)
    4. Managed to successfully make Skype run as a service using anysvr.exe and instsrv.exe and NOT gensev.exe (because Skype was crashing when any user logged in if using gensev.exe). I can see the Skype user logged in from other PCs. Skype is running under the account desktop_svcs which I created at point 2.
    5. Now, the problem is, My siemens phones can do everything EXEPT communicate with Skype.

I'm sooo close... This is a work in progress and I am calling for anyone interested in this project to join in

Regards,
    Pedro
    Saturday, January 5, 2008 8:24 PM

All replies

• Hi pmdci,
    Do you have any more details on your setup. Did you make any more progress with the Siemens DECT/Skype cordless phone and the Skype software on Windows Home Sever?
    Visit the MS Windows Home Server Blog at http://www.mswhs.com - My old user name was PhillTheChill
    Friday, October 17, 2008 2:51 PM
  • Hi,  I know this is an old post, but I'm also interested in the answer.  I've got a bit closer than you did, but I stil have one problem - I can dial out on Skype, and I can receive if one of the phones has already "rung" the internal M34 extension and established a connection - but an incoming call won't ring the other handset extensions.  Have you got this fixed?

To get this far, I had to use instsrv.eve to create a anysvr.exe sevvice for skype.exe, skypepm.exe (the plugin manager) and skypeclient.exe (the M34 skype client  software).  I then had to make sure the servies could access the display (Control panel|Administrative tools|Services gives access to the necessary parameters)

Did you sort it in the end?

Kind regards

John
    Monday, April 13, 2009 5:05 PM
  • Hi there, I must say that due to lack of support from the community, I simply gave up...

I ended looking for some sort of DECT system which also provides handsets with Skype built-in.

I Found out the Philips VOIP8411B does the trick, but its DECT base station must be connected by Ethernet (not wi-fi) to your router/switch in order to receive Skype calls.

Here is a review of the Philips VOIP8411B

I was looking for some DECT system (perhaps DECT 6.0) where you could add wi-fi Skype built-in handsets but I guess this is too much to ask.

Back on the M34 issue, I think the problem is that the M34 software is really, really bad. And Siemens doesn't seem to care to update them.
    • Edited by pmdci Friday, June 26, 2009 11:14 PM html formatting
    Friday, June 26, 2009 11:12 PM
  • Hi there,

I know this is an old post and I previously said I gave up on this. But for the record here are my set of instructions: http://www.pedroinnecco.com/2008/01/siemens-m34-whs/

Regards,
    Pedro
    Tuesday, August 18, 2009 9:40 PM
  • It’s working!  Woo hoo!  I’m so, so pleased to get it sorted, and it did take a bit of time to remember what I’d done before, even though I had the XP box in front of me, working. 

The key was to do the work using a local console logon (I’ll call this LCL) – it can’t, I believe, be done using Remote Desktop Connection.  I’ll point out where I think RDC fails in the notes below. 

My notes are rather high level.  Anyway, here goes. 

1.       Install Skype software

a.       Do this using RDC or LCL – I used RDC and worked fine

b.      No point starting Skype and configuring it at this stage, by either RDC or LCL – the “right” way (the one that works) comes later

2.       Install M34 software

a.       I had downloaded build 733 from the Siemens website some time ago, but the version currently available for download is 726 (http://gigaset.com/medias/sys_master/gigaset_m34_36_726.exe).  I used the 733 version, but Tech Support at Siemens responded that they thought there was nothing between the two

b.      The Siemens software tells you to run the installation and only plug the M34 in when asked.  That’s what I did (running the installation using RDC) but when the M34 is plugged in, it didn’t UPnP prompt the driver installations like it did on my XP box, other than one generic Microsoft driver (Sound|USB Audio Device) – so after a reboot (just in case!) I manually installed (Control Panel|System|Device Manager|Reinstall Drivers|Search automatically) the five drivers required:

i.      DECT|Cordless Internet Access

ii.      USB controllers|Cordless Device Configuration

iii.      USB controllers|Cordless Device Line Access

iv.      USB controllers|Cordless Device Update

v.      USB controllers|Cordless PC Control

3.       Disable four M34 programs from loading at startup

a.       The M34 software configures four programs to load at startup (dlrblckr, keymap, messengerservice and skypeclient) and I used Run|msconfig to Disable them

b.      After rebooting, I checked the box to suppress this Selective Startup being reported and msconfig being launched at every logon

4.       Create services

a.       There’s a very helpful KB article (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/137890) that helped me create the necessary services

b.      You need two programs (instsrv.exe and srvany.exe) which I saved in C:\Reskit (I downloaded from Microsoft several years ago)

c.       Follow the KB article to create services and registry entries for 7 services.  The first four relate to the executables you’ll recognise from 3a above, the fifth and sixth are other executables from within the Gigaset Program Files that we need only for configuration, and the seventh is for skype.exe itself.  I named them:

i.      M34Dlr

ii.      M34Keymap

iii.      M34MessengerService

iv.      M34SkypeClient

v.      M34abdriver (for configuration under step 5 only)

vi.      M34CPShell (for configuration under step 5 only)

vii.      M34SkypeService (Skype itself)

5.       Configure services

a.       All seven services need configuring using Control panel|Services as follows:

i.      Start Automatically – that should already be the case, as it’s the default

ii.      Local account logon – again, the default

iii.      Allow interaction with the desktop (under the Local account logon)

b.      Reboot

c.       Logon to the local console – and if everything so far is working, two applications should present automatically: Skype and M34

[Up to this point RDC will work OK, but for me, the services desktop interaction doesn’t get relayed through RDC to the client – so you need LCL to be able to see what’s going on.

I had one other problem to do with the sound.  Although I’d told my client RDC to leave sound at the WHS, RDC doesn’t let me see any of the local sound devices – all I can see is RDC sound driver.  To try and get round that, I disabled all other devices other than the USB sound device, so Skype would be forced to elect that one, since I couldn’t actually configure it remotely.  But if you can’t even see the Skype window, that proved to be a step I needn’t have worried about]

d.      Configure Skype

i.      Create/input logon name and password, and logon

ii.      Ensure set to logon when Skype launches

iii.      Allow skypeclient.exe and abdriver.exe to communicate with Skype – you should be prompted for this, but if not, should appear under Tools|Advanced

iv.      Any other Skype tailoring – I have mine fairly tight and suppressing messaging boxes

e.      Configure M34

i.      The app should open up automatically – but may take a little time to get there.  If it really got stuck (more than a couple of minutes) try a reboot, but I had no problems.  The key is that it must be the service you created under 4c that you use to do the configuration (same is true for 5d)

ii.      It’s critical to get the M34 device to register with your base station, and then on the Skype tab, for the drop down box to include at least one handset to alert you to incoming messages.  But by the time you’re here, it’s pretty straightforward to see what you need to do.

f.        Reboot – and it should all be working fine!

6.       Reconfigure services

a.       Two services at 4c, v and vi, are not needed operationally – so Disable them

b.      The other 5 services do not need to be able to interact with the Desktop now – so I unchecked that box (reversing 5a iii) (even though I know that RDC doesn’t seem to forward that desktop interaction!)

c.       Reboot – and it should still all be working fine!! 

So there it is.  Bit fiddly, and took ages to explore many blind alleys, but it’s done for me now.  And since this was stable for several years on my XP box, I hope the same will be true for this instance on WHS.  Time will tell.  While I was typing you this email, my daughter skyped me from Uganda – glad I had it all working.

PS  I wrote this in an email in June 2010, and since then, the service has been stable and reliable.  It was a bit of a crusade that I can't imagine many others being bothered with, but if you do, let me know!  Good luck!

Saturday, February 5, 2011 10:36 PM