70-290 Exam format RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I'm in the UK and about to sit my first exam (70-290). I was wondering if someone could help me with some info on what to expect when i do the exam. Things like, time of exam, how many questions and what the scoring levels are etc. I've downloaded some prctice exams from Measureup and am hoping they are relevant and realistic to what i'm going to get on the day. Could someone please let me know their experiences and any useful info really.

Cheers
    Sunday, June 15, 2008 6:50 PM

Answers

• You get 175 minutes to complete the exam and you will find about 45 questions ranging in format form multiple choice, drag-and-drop and simulated. As for MeasuerUp I've found their 70-290 Practice test to be a decent relevant question base, I do however prefer Self-Test Software Practice  exams.
    Stephen Charles Rea [MCT] askthemct.com
    • Proposed as answer by .revEditor Monday, June 16, 2008 2:42 PM
    • Marked as answer by .revEditor Wednesday, June 18, 2008 9:59 PM
    Monday, June 16, 2008 2:42 PM
    Answerer
  • I took 70-290 a few weeks ago.  My first MS exam in about 6 years. 

My experiance:

The time available was ample.  I took my time over questions, didn't hurry and used about 2 hours of the time available (I thought it was 3 hours but if .rev says it's 3:15 I'm not going to argue, I can't remember)

Number of questions: 45  I found that to be a reasonable number.  It's a bit daunting to be maybe half an hour in with only 5 questions answered but some might take you ten minutes others just 30 seconds, so don't worry too much, you will get through them.

I can't comment on the accuracy of the practise exams you mention.  I found the exam fractionally easier than the practise questions I took - which is just as well as I failed every practise test I took - very disheartening.  However I found my practise questions were often probing the edges of topics whereas the exam was more balanced.

All in all I thought it was a "good" exam.  Tough enough to mean something without being too much to get over as a first hurdle.   (FYI I scored just under 900)

My parting advice would be to follow the generic advice you get everywhere.  Get there in plenty of time, make sure you have your ID, when you get in don't hurry, read the blurb (as much as you need to slowly).  When you start the exam proper read and re-read the questions.   Do make a note to review those you you're unsure about and move on.  Come back to them at the end.  Don't get too freaked if it takes a long time loading questions or scoring your exam. 

Good luck.

• Edited by Andrew JD Mason Monday, June 16, 2008 3:38 PM To edit it!?
    • Marked as answer by .revEditor Saturday, July 5, 2008 10:43 PM
    Monday, June 16, 2008 3:36 PM
  •  http://blog.avanadeadvisor.com/blogs/waynea/archive/2007/09/03/4890.aspx

Complete description of the exam experience for this particular exam.

For those who have not taken an MCP exam before, i would also advise reading my "Word for those who have Never Taken an MCP Exam".

http://blog.avanadeadvisor.com/blogs/waynea/archive/2006/11/15/631.aspx
    - Wayne S. Anderson MCITP, MCSE, MCT http://blog.avanadeadvisor.com/blogs/waynea
    Thursday, July 3, 2008 3:35 PM

All replies

• You get 175 minutes to complete the exam and you will find about 45 questions ranging in format form multiple choice, drag-and-drop and simulated. As for MeasuerUp I've found their 70-290 Practice test to be a decent relevant question base, I do however prefer Self-Test Software Practice  exams.
    Stephen Charles Rea [MCT] askthemct.com
    • Proposed as answer by .revEditor Monday, June 16, 2008 2:42 PM
    • Marked as answer by .revEditor Wednesday, June 18, 2008 9:59 PM
    Monday, June 16, 2008 2:42 PM
    Answerer
  • I took 70-290 a few weeks ago.  My first MS exam in about 6 years. 

My experiance:

The time available was ample.  I took my time over questions, didn't hurry and used about 2 hours of the time available (I thought it was 3 hours but if .rev says it's 3:15 I'm not going to argue, I can't remember)

Number of questions: 45  I found that to be a reasonable number.  It's a bit daunting to be maybe half an hour in with only 5 questions answered but some might take you ten minutes others just 30 seconds, so don't worry too much, you will get through them.

I can't comment on the accuracy of the practise exams you mention.  I found the exam fractionally easier than the practise questions I took - which is just as well as I failed every practise test I took - very disheartening.  However I found my practise questions were often probing the edges of topics whereas the exam was more balanced.

All in all I thought it was a "good" exam.  Tough enough to mean something without being too much to get over as a first hurdle.   (FYI I scored just under 900)

My parting advice would be to follow the generic advice you get everywhere.  Get there in plenty of time, make sure you have your ID, when you get in don't hurry, read the blurb (as much as you need to slowly).  When you start the exam proper read and re-read the questions.   Do make a note to review those you you're unsure about and move on.  Come back to them at the end.  Don't get too freaked if it takes a long time loading questions or scoring your exam. 

Good luck.

• Edited by Andrew JD Mason Monday, June 16, 2008 3:38 PM To edit it!?
    Monday, June 16, 2008 3:36 PM
  • Indeed, took mine a few weeks back as well, if anything, read carefully the SIMS that popup, do them in stages and not try to remember what to do all at once- do it a bite at a time; I had one that required 4 different things, blew me away at first until I remembered the one-step-at-a-time rule. COmplete one step, move on to next one. Like they said above me, don't be daunted by the time it takes. Some might take very little time to answer, others may require reading it a few times to understand what MS is looking for. A good trick a classmate taught me, read all the question, read all the answers, re-read the question and start the elimination process. Good luck to you!
    Tuesday, June 17, 2008 3:57 PM
  •  http://blog.avanadeadvisor.com/blogs/waynea/archive/2007/09/03/4890.aspx

Complete description of the exam experience for this particular exam.

For those who have not taken an MCP exam before, i would also advise reading my "Word for those who have Never Taken an MCP Exam".

http://blog.avanadeadvisor.com/blogs/waynea/archive/2006/11/15/631.aspx
    - Wayne S. Anderson MCITP, MCSE, MCT http://blog.avanadeadvisor.com/blogs/waynea
    Thursday, July 3, 2008 3:35 PM