Adding HDD RRS feed

• Question

• Hi everyone.
    I've just finished building my home server, and installed WHS on my system. I used my old 200GB drive as system disc, and all went just perfect. But then I wanted to add my 2 storage drive, a 500GB and a 1TB drive, to the system.
    WHS had no problem in finding the drives, but my problem is, that the drives allready contains data. Data I don't wanna loose, and I don't have enough drivespace otherwhere to storage the data, while I add the drives. Why is this system made so stupid, that I can't add drives whitout formating them? This is pretty frustrating, as it makes it impossible for me to use WHS.

Isn't there any other way?

Please help a man i dispear.
    Friday, August 8, 2008 10:06 AM

Answers

• Windows Home Server will not allow you to add a drive to the storage pool without formatting it, thus destroying anything you have stored on the drive. It needs complete control of all the hardware it's using.

Your best solution is going to be to purchase an additional hard drive to install in your server, preferably one that will hold as much data as you currently have on your larger drive. Then you can transfer the data from that drive, add it to the server, and finally transfer the data from your smaller drive.
    Friday, August 8, 2008 2:53 PM

All replies

• Windows Home Server will not allow you to add a drive to the storage pool without formatting it, thus destroying anything you have stored on the drive. It needs complete control of all the hardware it's using.

Your best solution is going to be to purchase an additional hard drive to install in your server, preferably one that will hold as much data as you currently have on your larger drive. Then you can transfer the data from that drive, add it to the server, and finally transfer the data from your smaller drive.
    Friday, August 8, 2008 2:53 PM
  • Oh well. Back to Win XP then. Stupid solution. Sad
    Friday, August 8, 2008 2:55 PM