Upgrading Hard-drive of client laptop RRS feed

• Question

• Hello All,

I need to upgrade the hard drive of a client computer (laptop) because the existing hard-drive is max'd out.  Here's my question.  If I replace my 100GB hard drive with a larger 500GB hard-drive, can I restore the entire contents of the old drive from my Windows Home Server?  I mean everything, not just data files, but program files, settings, favorites, windows, etc, etc.?  I pretty much want the same results as if I had cloned the old drive onto the larger new drive.

Thanks,

SikRod
    Sunday, November 8, 2009 5:46 AM

All replies

• Hi,
    yes and no. The NTFS disks are getting restored, but if the maker of the laptop has also put a hidden tools or recovery partition on the disk, that will not be restored.
    While such a missing volume is not a problem usually, this can also lead to an unbootable system.
    Check the FAQ How to solve boot problems after restoring a client disk for possible solutions. (Those may fail for certain brands as well, I remember people with some Toshiba laptops had some trouble here.)
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Sunday, November 8, 2009 11:48 AM
  • Hi,
    yes and no. The NTFS disks are getting restored, but if the maker of the laptop has also put a hidden tools or recovery partition on the disk, that will not be restored.
    While such a missing volume is not a problem usually, this can also lead to an unbootable system.
    Check the FAQ How to solve boot problems after restoring a client disk for possible solutions. (Those may fail for certain brands as well, I remember people with some Toshiba laptops had some trouble here.)
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

Thank you Olaf for your quick response.  However, in the meantime I have found a much faster and straight-forward solution.
    Sunday, November 8, 2009 11:56 PM