Echo wont delete right folder files RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I just upgraded to SyncToy 2 and while new files are added to the right folder for ECHO action, deleted files on the left are not repeated on the right.

What do you recommend?

Thanks,

Lawrence
    Saturday, February 21, 2009 4:00 AM

Answers

• Hi -

TO be clear changing your anti-virus does not cause SyncToy to stop working. What happens is that the new anti-virus is probably scanning all the files and touching the LastWriteTimes on these files. When this happens - we detect an update to the file being on the right and then we do not want to apply the delete from the left in case the user made a real change on the right and would prefer we nor overwrite their changes.

That being said we are now looking into making a change so that the deletes on the left will be applied on the right even if a change is made. This will only be in case of the Echo change.

Thanks
    Deepa
    Deepa ( Microsoft Sync Framework)
    Wednesday, February 25, 2009 11:23 PM

All replies

• Hi, Lawrence
    Can you try to test the following steps:
    1.create a file like a.txt at the left side;
    2.sync it;
    3.delete the file from the left side;
    4. sync it again. see if it is deleted on the right side.

-I think you failed to repeat the deletion on the right side is because the right side file is updated after deletion just before synced.

Thanks,
    Baoke
    Saturday, February 21, 2009 11:20 AM
  • Baoke,

I did exactly as you said.  I created a new file on the left side.  Synced.  Deleted that file and synced again.  It worked...for that file.

The weird thing is that I have 95 files in the left folder and 101 in the right folder.  The 6 files that SyncToy refuses to delete in the right folder are Excel files that started out with version "a", did work on it, then saved as version "b".  I got up to version "g" and then deleted the 6 older versions, "a" - "f".  Even after several syncings, Excel files "a" - "f" will not be deleted from the right folder.

How bad is this problem?  I'm using SyncToy v2.0.100.0.

Thanks for your help!

Lawrence
    Saturday, February 21, 2009 7:36 PM
  •  Hi, Lawrence
    sorry I do not get your word. you save as version "b" is a new file ? it happens on which side, left or right ?
    if "b" is a new file ,"g" should be also. how you can differentiate the different versions ? like file name "filea.xlsx","fileb.xlsx" ... ?
    if like that and you did not change the file on the right side. the file on the right side will be deleted.
    do the following test you will get it :
    1.create a file like a.txt at the left side;
    2.sync it;
    3.delete the file from the left side;
    4.update the file on the right side.
    5. sync it again. see if it is deleted on the right side.

Thanks,
    Baoke
    Monday, February 23, 2009 10:05 AM
  • Baoke,

Thanks for all your help.

To clarify: Running echo sync adds new files, but refused to delete files.  At least certain files.  This turned into a mystery.  Only some files were being correctly deleted.

And then I stumbled upon a clue in the forums.  Using an antivirus program could add problems when upgarding to Synctoy 2.0.  As it turns out, I upgraded from Kaspersky to Norton, then upgraded to Synctoy 2.

So, I uninstalled Synctoy and reinstalled it.  The metadata remained.  So then I deleted all the file associations and recreated them.  Along the way, I did some tests creating and deleting files to see if the newly created associations worked.  They did.

The bottom line: CHANGING ANTIVIRUS PROGRAMS STOPS SYNCTOY FROM WORKING PROPERLY.

I hope this info gets to the MS programmers.

Lawrence
    Tuesday, February 24, 2009 12:15 AM
  •  Yes, you are right. I remember that. Antivirus program will affect the files.

Thanks,
    Baoke
    Tuesday, February 24, 2009 1:29 AM
  • Hi -

TO be clear changing your anti-virus does not cause SyncToy to stop working. What happens is that the new anti-virus is probably scanning all the files and touching the LastWriteTimes on these files. When this happens - we detect an update to the file being on the right and then we do not want to apply the delete from the left in case the user made a real change on the right and would prefer we nor overwrite their changes.

That being said we are now looking into making a change so that the deletes on the left will be applied on the right even if a change is made. This will only be in case of the Echo change.

Thanks
    Deepa
    Deepa ( Microsoft Sync Framework)
    Wednesday, February 25, 2009 11:23 PM
  • I'm giving up on SyncToy.  It seems that its indexes easily become out of sync with the physical files.  I even tried deleting all the sync*.* files for both left and right folders, but the Echo will not make the appropriate changes on the right.  Changing to sync mode, synctoy wants to delete everything from the left! 

This tool is very dangeous!!  This shold be published as a Beta product, not a version 2.0 product!!
    Thursday, May 28, 2009 1:31 AM