Data mining with Windows Home Server 2011 RRS feed

• Question

• OK so let me explain my situation before I ask the questions. I am a full time Ph.D. candidate/researcher/data miner for The University of Toledo. As for technology, I have an old acer WHS box at home, an acer i3 8GB laptop, Girlfriend has HP desktop and laptop, we have 2 xbox 360(s), and now WHS 2011 box in my office. For my internet connections, I have a ATT Uverse, sprint mifi, T3 burst, 1GB intranet, and tetherable sprint (unlimited) blackberry.

This is what I do for living, and what I need the technology to do.

I mine transportation, housing, finance data, and any other data set I get my hands on. I use STATA, SAS, and Excel for the mining, but I also use arcGIS, visual studio, and arcObjects for display and results retrieval.

Before I started working, my latop, the girlfriends laptop, and her computer use the WHS connection app for the acer WHS and have (photo, music, video) network drives mapped to them. Basically the acer WHS keeps the nightly backups, and we use the acer WHS to view the media to the 2 TVs (bedroom & living room) using the xbox(s).

This past year, I started working with arcGIS and arcObjects. I have STATA, SAS, MS office 2007, and visual studio express on my laptop. ArcGIS, arcObjects, Visual studio pro, MS office, and all my data is on my workstation and the school's 1GB intranet. I need to say this now, I cannot walk around with some the data. I can however access the data via the school's T3 burst, but as you can imagine the school caps upload to 10Kb/s, and I cannot remote desktop my workstation. I have access to Vmware client, but it does not have arcObjects or arcGIS. So I go to my workstation at school, and I transfer data to my laptop for analysis. I go home, analyze the data, and keep back-up on the acer WHS box. I get back to my workstation and put everything together for display.

This year, I got the technology grant to cover for me to have WHS placed into my office with arcGIS, arcObjects, MS office, visual studio, and routed all the schools intranet assets including my data to it. So, the 1GB intranet connects all my data. I use the sprint mifi to remote desktop (school won't allow me using their T3) and access the "dashboard" (when I just want the data) away from school on my laptop using my homes ATT uverse or a tethered blackberry, and I still keep working backups on my acer WHS.

I don't have any large problems, but they are WHS 2011 related. My WHS 2011 box is as follows 60GB SSD (OS and software is installed here), 16GB RAM, dual 24" monitors on an ATI 1GB Firepro, Quad core AMD, and 4 hotswap bays (1 is filled with 500GB HDD).

In WHS 2011 how do I bypass the 8GB cap? I already got around the 500GB with the 60GB SSD. I need the extra RAM for workstation functions, but I want to keep "dashboard" and my remote desktop. I am not trying to set-up FTP or VM passing data between OS(s). I already max out systems with some of my data sets; i need the 8GB of resources. I am open to ideas.

Also, my monitor goes to sleep every 15 minutes of inactivity and for the life I cannot navigate to stop that. How do I stop my monitor from sleeping?

Saturday, August 18, 2012 8:37 AM

Answers

• I think you say it all when you say WHS and "workstation functions"! WHS is a server and does not lend itself well to being run as a Workstation - that's not what it's designed to do. There is no way around the 8GB RAM limit.

Control Panel, Power Options, Edit Plan Settings should give you the option to fix your monitor problem.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

• Marked as answer by James Xiong Thursday, September 6, 2012 6:04 AM
    Saturday, August 18, 2012 1:13 PM
  • ... In WHS 2011 how do I bypass the 8GB cap? ...

You don't bypass the 8 GB limit. Windows Home Server 2011 will not use more than 8 GB of memory; if your needs are such that this isn't sufficient, I recommend Windows Server 2008 R2.

As for changing how long it takes for your monitor to go to sleep, you do it through the power management interface.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)

Sunday, August 19, 2012 12:07 AM

All replies

• I think you say it all when you say WHS and "workstation functions"! WHS is a server and does not lend itself well to being run as a Workstation - that's not what it's designed to do. There is no way around the 8GB RAM limit.

Control Panel, Power Options, Edit Plan Settings should give you the option to fix your monitor problem.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

Saturday, August 18, 2012 1:13 PM
  • ... In WHS 2011 how do I bypass the 8GB cap? ...

You don't bypass the 8 GB limit. Windows Home Server 2011 will not use more than 8 GB of memory; if your needs are such that this isn't sufficient, I recommend Windows Server 2008 R2.

As for changing how long it takes for your monitor to go to sleep, you do it through the power management interface.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)

Sunday, August 19, 2012 12:07 AM