One Live missing features? RRS feed

• Question

• I Just loaded One live yesterday it instantly solved some virus issues that I had. It also solved a printer issue that had been plauging me for months that action I was happy about but I didn't expect. I just wondered if there are plans for OneLive to pick up Spam filtering?

Monday, September 1, 2008 11:13 PM

Answers

• I'm glad that you have had good experiences with OneCare so far. I'm not aware of any plans to add spam filtering to OneCare. I believe that this functionality is best left to the email program or server, though I can see where it makes sense to add it to OneCare.

-steve

Thursday, September 4, 2008 2:31 PM

All replies

• I'm glad that you have had good experiences with OneCare so far. I'm not aware of any plans to add spam filtering to OneCare. I believe that this functionality is best left to the email program or server, though I can see where it makes sense to add it to OneCare.

-steve

Thursday, September 4, 2008 2:31 PM
  • Thanks fot the reply, I expect most of your dealings are with irate indivudals so I didn't think a little good news would hurt. anyway, I am just trying to determine if I would have to purchase something else.

Thursday, September 4, 2008 8:11 PM
  • Actually, it never makes sense to perform SPAM filtering at the client. The reason is that by the time it's gotten to the local PC it's already too late. Any viruses that might be contained within the SPAM as an attachment will necessarily require that the local Anti-Malware protect the user, which OneCare already does.

The only effective place to deal with SPAM is at the server, since this can actually stop the transmission of the SPAM to the client itself. Once it's reached the client, the user will be required to deal with the SPAM at some level, since client based anti-SPAM is notoriously ineffective and often leads to false positive identification, requiring that the user double-check the SPAM folder anyway.

This is one of those confusing things about computers, the Internet and software. It's common to believe that since Microsoft has made an effective security product with OneCare, that all they need to do is add Anti-SPAM and it will be the most effective also. However, this is inherently false since the real problem with SPAM is the acceptance of it by the servers in the first place. Microsoft is already working on this issue both with their own Hotmail and with others in the industry to make their inter-server Anti-SPAM efforts more effective.

The best a user can do for themselves is to choose an E-mail ISP who attempts to provide effective Anti-SPAM to their users. The more this happens the less likely it is that others will be required to deal with invalid messages from them too, since the best ISP's also tend to protect their own domains more effectively outbound as well, reducing the possibility that others with a good ISP will receive SPAM using their personal address.

OneCareBear

Thursday, September 4, 2008 8:34 PM