Windows Mobile 7 RRS feed

• Question

• WM is great, but I've always had one problem: You can never really get all the features on a phone.

So there should only be one Windows Mobile 7 phone.

And this is what it should have.

-QWERTY keyboard: The HTC Touch's screen is small, making the beloved original WM keyboard small. I really liked the Audiovox's QWERTY keyboard, why can't all phones have this?

-Wi-Fi: I just found out the dreadful news that you can't add Wi-Fi to the HTC Touch. There is this one app that turns your phone into a Wi-Fi router...IF YOU HAVE WI-FI.

-OVER 2MP camera WITH flash: I have usually used the Audiovox's flash on it's camera to use a somwhat useful feature: Windows Mobile Flashlight. And now it's not on the HTC Touch.

-Lots of buttons: Maybe the phone companies are getting the wrong picture--having lots of buttons is a GOOD feature, especially when you have BUTTON LOCK on! Playing emulators with little buttons is a PAIN. I loved the Audiovox's use of the buttons of top--when playing NES, A and B could be assigned to there in the right hand, and the d-pad in the left. On the HTC Touch however, the volume rocker is A and B. It's a complete PAIN.

-Better IE: Have you heard of "Opera Mobile"? It's basically Safari, on Windows Mobile. Can you PLLEEEEASE make IE just like this? Making Flash for this would be sweet too.

Please have only one phone with QWERTY keyboard, Wi-Fi, over 2MP camera, flash, button layout of the Audiovox, flash in a way better IE, and more. It would be GREAT, and may prompt Apple to make "Hi, I'm a iPhone" which everyone would laugh at.

Wednesday, October 8, 2008 9:51 PM

Answers

• What I have read suggests the following are being considered as Windows Mobile 7 components.

1. Xbox Mobile. - to start, this may simply be a mobile GUI for those that have Xbox Live accounts much like Twitterific and similar free iPhone Apps have. With Xbox Mobile IDE additions to the XNA Game Studio and possibly Visual Studio 2008, it can be expanded easily into an Xbox Mobile Game Store.

2. Zune 3.0 or 4.0 software. This is obviously to allow the Windows Mobile 7 smartphones act just as smartly with music, video and podcasting as the iPod software built into the iPhone 2.0.

3. Media Center Controller to act as a remote control to navigate through Windows Media Center content. This will easily out-do the Apple TV Store for example.

4. Xmote (Xbox Remote) to use Windows Mobile 7 as a interface for Xbox 360 games. This may also come with a USB stick that coordinates with Xboxes or Windows 7 desktop computers. It clearly would easily out-do Wiimotes on Wiis. Think of using Halo 3 or Halo Wars with the Xmote button on a Windows Mobile 7 phone or the PC version on Windows XP/Vista/7.

5. Bar code scanner software for camera. This would allow one to create grocery lists based off of the Universal Product Code (UPC) zebra stripes on all groceries in the United States and other retail products.

6.  Facial recogition software for camera. This gives an intuitive biometric way of identifying one's self and can work with or even instead of the password safety feature.

There are other cool ideas I have read about that Microsoft Research is working on that would also be very cool but the above set of features would blow away anything else out there.

7. Based on the acquisition of Danger. Inc. Microsoft might want to consider making a reference design for its OEM partners much like Intel makes entire prototype computers for OEMs to reference. Of course, if OEMs do not implements all of the recommendations, Microsoft could then produce the reference design in quantity and let it run alongside of the Zune much like the iPod and the iPhone are both currently available.

8. An automated backup service based on Windows Azure to preserve data across Windows 7 and Windows Mobile 7 would be helpful as well which is what Bill G. might be referring to with his user-centric model comments.

Sincerely,
    Bill Kraemer, MIT (Internet Security)
    williamweb@hotmail.com

• Proposed as answer by Bill at Rockford Friday, January 2, 2009 12:00 AM
    • Marked as answer by MaryAliceC Thursday, March 12, 2009 5:07 PM
    Sunday, December 28, 2008 2:48 AM

All replies

• QWERTY keyboard: well, not everyone wants it on their phone. Some people want a phone with very slim profile and they don't do a lot of text entry. Onscreen keyboard works fine for them.
    • WiFi: HTC Touch has wifi. Touch dual does not
    • Buttons: Some people yearn for a minimalistic device. I personally don't like lots of buttons. Just one for task switching is perfect for me
    • Better IE: Microsoft will soon be releasing new IE mobile based on IE 6 infrastructure

..and only one windows mobile 7 phone? What about the rest of the manufactures?
    Thursday, October 9, 2008 5:44 AM
  • This sounds good. Each company could make one of these, and maybe there are more that others could make:
    Windows Mobile 7 Pro: QWERTY, many buttons
    Windows Mobile 7 Lite: HTC Touch, pretty much
    Windows Mobile 7 Alpha: QWERTY keyboard
    Windows Mobile 7 Press: many buttons

And what carrier do you have for the HTC Touch?
    Saturday, October 11, 2008 9:04 PM
  • Although I appreciate the naming conventions that you specified but don't you think it will futher confuse the final consumer. With so many Alphas and Betas in the names, they are bound to get confused Wink
    Sunday, October 12, 2008 6:52 AM
  • I thoroughly dislike physical buttons on a phone. My current phone is a Motorola Q9h and the QWERTY keyboard doesn't make it any better than an onscreen keyboard. In fact I'd like a full touch screen where the only physical button on the phone would be the power button. Everything else must be in the interface. I don't even like the shortcut buttons. Buttons are a waste of good screen space.

Right now it's painful when choosing a Windows Mobile phone [every single phone sucks], so I'm hoping that we'll get some decent phones at the launch of Windows Mobile 7, or we might just be forced to buy an iPhone - something that I really really don't want to do.

Friday, October 31, 2008 9:42 AM
  • What I have read suggests the following are being considered as Windows Mobile 7 components.

1. Xbox Mobile. - to start, this may simply be a mobile GUI for those that have Xbox Live accounts much like Twitterific and similar free iPhone Apps have. With Xbox Mobile IDE additions to the XNA Game Studio and possibly Visual Studio 2008, it can be expanded easily into an Xbox Mobile Game Store.

2. Zune 3.0 or 4.0 software. This is obviously to allow the Windows Mobile 7 smartphones act just as smartly with music, video and podcasting as the iPod software built into the iPhone 2.0.

3. Media Center Controller to act as a remote control to navigate through Windows Media Center content. This will easily out-do the Apple TV Store for example.

4. Xmote (Xbox Remote) to use Windows Mobile 7 as a interface for Xbox 360 games. This may also come with a USB stick that coordinates with Xboxes or Windows 7 desktop computers. It clearly would easily out-do Wiimotes on Wiis. Think of using Halo 3 or Halo Wars with the Xmote button on a Windows Mobile 7 phone or the PC version on Windows XP/Vista/7.

5. Bar code scanner software for camera. This would allow one to create grocery lists based off of the Universal Product Code (UPC) zebra stripes on all groceries in the United States and other retail products.

6.  Facial recogition software for camera. This gives an intuitive biometric way of identifying one's self and can work with or even instead of the password safety feature.

There are other cool ideas I have read about that Microsoft Research is working on that would also be very cool but the above set of features would blow away anything else out there.

7. Based on the acquisition of Danger. Inc. Microsoft might want to consider making a reference design for its OEM partners much like Intel makes entire prototype computers for OEMs to reference. Of course, if OEMs do not implements all of the recommendations, Microsoft could then produce the reference design in quantity and let it run alongside of the Zune much like the iPod and the iPhone are both currently available.

8. An automated backup service based on Windows Azure to preserve data across Windows 7 and Windows Mobile 7 would be helpful as well which is what Bill G. might be referring to with his user-centric model comments.

Sincerely,
    williamweb@hotmail.com

• Proposed as answer by Bill at Rockford Friday, January 2, 2009 12:00 AM
    • Marked as answer by MaryAliceC Thursday, March 12, 2009 5:07 PM
    Sunday, December 28, 2008 2:48 AM
  • Great Comments Bill.  I hope they do all that you mentioned.  The bar code scanner would open up all sorts of awesome possibilities.  And General C.....I am about a week away from getting the oPhone which I don't want to do, but I give up on buying WM phones that are more expensive, and do far less than the iPhone. 

I also hope that Microsoft will just make thier own phone with MORE features than the competition and not go the way of the Zune that seriously lacks so many features.   Anyway, Good luck to them....at this point it will take a miracle!
    Thursday, January 1, 2009 11:10 PM
  •  Thanks Karlucci.

The above of course are software items and that is based on the software-only approach to the smartphone market. There is evidence at reputable sites suggesting that Microsoft might make an iPhone competitor directly. This unified approach certainly has some precedence with the Xbox offering that was necessary due to the migration of gaming from the PC to consoles to compete with Play Station and Nintendo. If Microsoft does expand Zune or introduces a Mobile Xbox (to compete with Play Station Portable) that also is a smartphone, I hope that it has these valuable hardware features:

1. GPS for MapPoint North America (or Europe) loaded on the phone (depending on the region)
    2. 5-10 MP camera for high resolution photography, videography and very importantly the bar code scanner and facial recognition software.
    3. Wi-Fi a, b, g and i (802.11) and stereo Bluetooth for wireless headset to use in conversations and Zune music player
    4. Software defined radio (SDR) that supports all major 1G, 2G, 3G protocols and 4G WiMAX (802.16) and infrared to swap vCards.
    5. USB 2.0 and 3.0 plug-in for easy data syncing and transfer
    6. Accelerometers for Xmote (Wiimote-like) and auto-adjust for portrait and landscape viewing.
    7. An option to NOT have physical QWERTY keyboard but a touch version instead (or voice recognition dictation)
    8. Very good microphones for headset and speaker mode (and voice recognition dictation)
    9. Superb battery life if possible (aren't small fuel cell batteries for phones ready yet?)
    10. Shock resistant, scratch resistant, water resistant aka durable.
    11.  Good form factor (iPhone, Blackberry Bold or Zune/iPod Touch size/shape)

Sincerely,
    williamweb@hotmail.com

Thursday, January 1, 2009 11:59 PM