HP driver not on list RRS feed

• Question

• Why aren't HP drivers on your list supported by OneCare so that I can keep my HP printer as my default printer?  What are my options?

Sunday, November 30, 2008 10:28 PM

Answers

• HP printers are indeed supported by OneCare for the Printer Sharing functions as long as your PCs are running the same level OS - that is, not a mix of 32 bit and 64 bit, though XP and Vista mixed works fine.

What problems are you having with the printer and OneCare? If this is a network based printer, then OneCare printer sharing won't work and you may need to add the program used for the printer to the firewall exception list and even add to the ports and protocols list if you also wish to use the FAX /Scan features of a multi-function printer.

-steve

Monday, December 1, 2008 12:54 AM

All replies

• HP printers are indeed supported by OneCare for the Printer Sharing functions as long as your PCs are running the same level OS - that is, not a mix of 32 bit and 64 bit, though XP and Vista mixed works fine.

What problems are you having with the printer and OneCare? If this is a network based printer, then OneCare printer sharing won't work and you may need to add the program used for the printer to the firewall exception list and even add to the ports and protocols list if you also wish to use the FAX /Scan features of a multi-function printer.

-steve

Monday, December 1, 2008 12:54 AM
  • I have a hp printer on a home network.  Using one care set up, I shared it.  I go to one of the other computers and it shows a window that asks do you want to use this printer.  I accept and print a test page, it works ok.   But later it no longer shows up and I can't print from the other computers.  I have tried this several times on both of the other computers. (mine is the hub, three computers in all)  They both print the test page, but never work after that?
    Saturday, June 27, 2009 8:23 PM
  • I have a hp printer on a home network.  Using one care set up, I shared it.  I go to one of the other computers and it shows a window that asks do you want to use this printer.  I accept and print a test page, it works ok.   But later it no longer shows up and I can't print from the other computers.  I have tried this several times on both of the other computers. (mine is the hub, three computers in all)  They both print the test page, but never work after that?

If you are sharing the printer via OneCare and it is attached to one of the PCs on your network, please contact support if it is forgetting the printer.

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/onecareinstallandactivate/thread/30400b52-7f26-4ba0-bc18-17e305329d90

If your printer is a network printer, meaning that it is not directly connected to a PC on the network, but is attached via a network cable to your router or uses wireless, OneCare cannot share this printer, so you you need to configure the printer per HPs instructions.
    -steve

Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare, Live Mesh, & MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator
    Monday, June 29, 2009 12:28 AM