Geniune Windows RRS feed

• Question

• I moved from Southern California to Oregon and when I set up my computer it tells me my version of Windows is not genuine for this region.  What can I do to resolve this issue OTHER than buying a new copy?
    Thursday, July 30, 2009 6:08 PM

Answers

• Hello BaronVonAwesome,

Geoblocks are only placed, by Microsoft, on Volume License keys at the request of Owner of the key.  Volume License Keys (VLK) are not sold to consumer users. They are sold, in bulk, to Large Organizations which allows them to manage large number of Window installs.

If you received the VLK from an organization that you belong to, you probably just moved outside the Geographical allowed area that the organization decided on.  You will need to contact your organization’s Network Admin or IT Dept. for assistance.

If you did not receive the VLK from your Orginization, you may want to download and run the MGA Diagnostic Tool http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012, click the Continue button then click on the Windows tab. In that tab, look at the Product Key listed. 

-If your XP came preinstalled on the computer, Does the Product Key listed in the Diag Tool, match the key that came with the computer (either on the COA Sticker on the side or bottom of the computer or on documentation that came with the computer)?

-If you bought XP seperatly from the computer, Does the Product Key listed in the Diag Tool, match the key that came with the XP Software?

If no, try reinstalling XP using that key. (If you had your computer repaired by a repair shop, a friend or the smart kid down the block, it's common for the repair person to need to reinstall Windows and allot of times the repair person will reinstall using a VLK because either is easer or because the think they are doing a favor by installing XP Pro instead of the XP Home that was originally installed...either way, the fix is reinstalling the original windows)

If yes, please contact the person or company that sold you the computer or the XP Software and demand the Genuine Microsoft Software, that you paided for. Or at the very least, a refund. I also encourage you to submit a Piracy Report (http://microsoft.com/piracy) against the seller.

Hope that helps,
    Darin MS
    Thursday, July 30, 2009 6:36 PM