restoring backup files to Money 2005 RRS feed

• Question

• I have had my hard drive replaced. I reinstalled Money 2005 version 14.0.120.1105 but cannot restore my backup files, which are in my docs folder. I just keep going round in circles, file - restore backup - put in the password - then it just goes back to the home page of money and the data is not there. HELP!!!!!
    Saturday, March 1, 2014 1:35 PM

All replies

• Do you have your MYMoney.mny file?  Did you try opening that?

Bill Becker

Saturday, March 1, 2014 5:15 PM
  • Save your existing *.mbf and *.mbf files onto other media.

I think by default Microsoft Money 2005 kept two backup files -- one upon exit, and one on a schedule.

Search your drive for other *.mbf and *.mny files. I hope you have another backup file that pre-dated your drive problems.

You might be able to make a repaired version of  your *.mny file by doing  File->RepairMoneyFile->StandardFileRepair level 2.

Sunday, March 2, 2014 5:39 AM
  • Thanks, forumites, somehow I have done it! My virus programme told me there was a problem, so I did a clean and there were quite a number of corrupted files - don't know how that happened as I'd just had it back from repair the day before! Anyway, I sorted all that and tried again, and it worked!  The relief is immense since I have business accounts on it too.
    Sunday, March 2, 2014 9:34 AM
  • Thanks, forumites, somehow I have done it! My virus programme told me there was a problem, so I did a clean and there were quite a number of corrupted files - don't know how that happened as I'd just had it back from repair the day before! Anyway, I sorted all that and tried again, and it worked!  The relief is immense since I have business accounts on it too.

That is wonderful. This should inspire you to review your Money 2005 backup plans. Money 2006 and later added a multiple backup scheme. That is particularly good at avoiding the possibility that the file somehow becomes corrupted and the existing upon-exit backup overwrites the only backup. With Money 2005, I used to modify the backup file name occasionally to allow more than one vintage of backup to survive. This is suggested in the note below.

In M05: Tools->Settings->BackupOptions
    I suggest checking
     x Automatically backup to hard disk on exit
      x Prompt me before backing up each time*
      x Make my file small ...

Then periodically, perhaps once per month or more, copy your
    latest backup (named differently from your earlier backups) to a
    CDR. With XP, this can be a copy and paste operation. Otherwise
    use the burning software that came with your CDR drive.

I strongly suggest use of a USB Flash drive also, in addition to
    backing up to your hard drive.  They typically act like a big
    floppy.  For a more automated way to make multiple backups, see
    Glyn Simpson's method at http://money.mvps.org/backup.aspx

*  This has two advantages.  You can change the file name
    occasionally.  I like to pick a name something like money050211.
    Then it is easy to change the name to have multiple backups.  The
    .mbf extension is automatic.  The other advantage is that you can
    choose "Don't Back Up, or you change your mind about exiting by
    simply clicking the X in the upper right of the pop-up box.

Sunday, March 2, 2014 5:30 PM