none
Error number: 0x80096001 when trying to complete windows update RRS feed

• Question

• Uninstalled Norton Antiviris and now keep getting message:

'The website has encountered a problem and cannot display the page you are trying to view. The options provided below might help you solve the problem'

when checking for updates from Windows update

Could not get Nortor removed in the conventional way i.e. Control panel, add/remove programs, so I dowloaded a software removal tool from the Symantec website.  Once I had restarted my computer I tried to update windows and received the error message.

Can someone shed any light on this, Please?

Thanks

Thursday, May 17, 2007 11:10 PM

Answers

• GSH9:

The problem relating to your WIndows Update experience is currently out of the capabilities of a public troubleshooting forum Sad. I would suggest sending a request for support to www.support.microsoft.com under the specialized "Windows Update" category that may help you better!

-phil

Wednesday, May 23, 2007 10:44 PM

All replies

• Hello,

This forum is for users that has validation issues.  Please go to http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/en-us/default.aspx?dg=microsoft.public.windowsupdate&cat=en_US_56d1dd45-de9e-4fc5-9bc1-2d1d0de6daee&lang=en&cr=US to seek help on Windows Update problem.  First use the search in the said newsgroup, your problem might have an answer already... before starting a new post.

Thanks!

Friday, May 18, 2007 3:20 AM
  • Spent nearly 5 hours going over various fix options posted on the forum and also on the Microsoft update 'error code troubleshooting' sections, tried as many as the system would accept but to no avail.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks

Friday, May 18, 2007 12:01 PM
  • I hope you post in the above link I provided Smile

But I'd like to send you to http://support.microsoft.com/kb/822798 and try to follow the methods provided.  Please visit Windows Update after you're done with one method.  If no joy, you should try the next method and visit WU again.

Friday, May 18, 2007 2:22 PM
  • Hi Donna,

Thanks for your reply, I have got as far as Method 3 and have hit a snag, wondered if you might shed some light on this for me.

1. Click Start, click Run, type cmd, and then click OK.

At the command prompt, type the following commands, and then press ENTER after each line:

net stop cryptsvc
    ren %systemroot%\System32\Catroot2 (rec error after inputing these details that states: 'The Syntax of the command is incorrect')
    oldcatroot2
    net start cryptsvc
    exit

I tried on a number of occassions using different spacings and bold type, and also got somebody else to try it, but we both had the same result.

Is this perhaps the problem, or is the text above incorrect?

Thanks

Greg

Monday, May 21, 2007 8:15 PM
  • In addition to the above points - I am not able to complete method 7 as that requires me to download updates (where the issue first originated)

and also in Method 9

Delete all the tmp*.cat files in the following folders:

%systemroot%\system32\CatRoot\{127D0A1D-4EF2-11D1-8608-00C04FC295EE}

%systemroot%\system32\CatRoot\{F750E6C3-38EE-11D1-85E5-00C04FC295EE}

Delete all the oem*.* files from the %systemroot%\inf folder.(Can not locate this folder - the only place I can find oem*.* is within the %systemroot%\system32\CatRoot\{F750E6C3-38EE-11D1-85E5-00C04FC295EE}, and I assume these are not the right ones to be deleating?)

3. At the command prompt, type the following commands. Press ENTER after each command.
    net stop cryptsvc
    ren %systemroot%\System32\Catroot2(rec error after inputing these details that states: 'The Syntax of the command is incorrect')
    oldcatroot2
    net start cryptsvc
    exit
    4. Restart the failed hotfix installation or service pack installation.

Monday, May 21, 2007 10:27 PM
  • As a last note, before I attempt to re install Windows, please can you confirm if the above points have any relevance to the cause of the problem. i.e. red text in above 2 points.

Thanks

Wednesday, May 23, 2007 10:04 PM
  • GSH9:

The problem relating to your WIndows Update experience is currently out of the capabilities of a public troubleshooting forum Sad. I would suggest sending a request for support to www.support.microsoft.com under the specialized "Windows Update" category that may help you better!

-phil

Wednesday, May 23, 2007 10:44 PM
  • Solution to: Error number: 0x80096001 

Hi,
    I found this on the Internet (had same problem on Citrix servers) It turns out the problem seems to be relevant to Terminal Server or Citrix servers.. I just logged in with a different (another) admin account and the windows updates worked right away. So I guess it is user profile based problem?

I hope this helps.  :-)

With best regards
    Gorgis Acar

error 0x80096001 when trying to run windows updates.
    June 1, 2006 12:08 PM | Permalink
    I had a problem trying to run Windows Updates on a machine, getting an error "Windows Update has encountered an error and cannot display the requested page. You may find the following resources helpful in resolving the problem...'Error Number: 0x80096001"

Several kb articles (ie kb822798) mentioned the need to edit security settings and reregister dll's and/or remove the %windir%softwaredistribution directory but unfortunately this didn't work.
    Part of the troubleshooting for this involves going in and looking at the certificate status within internet explorer. When I tried to double click on the certificate it gave me the error message "system-level error occured while verifying trust" on any of the certificates.

A post on the microsoft.public.windowsupdate newsgroup gave me a clue and by logging on as another administrator it all worked - my certificates are ok and windows updates runs through successfully.

Update It turns out that the problem in this case was partially caused by having a readonly profile - for some reason the desktop folders etc were all redirected to a share that didn't exist. By searching for this entry in the registry and editing it to point to a share that did exist I was able to get the profile (and windows update) working again.

• Proposed as answer by Gorgis Thursday, February 26, 2009 8:07 PM
    Thursday, February 26, 2009 8:01 PM
  • Solution to: Error number: 0x80096001 

Hi,
    I found this on the Internet (had same problem on Citrix servers) It turns out the problem seems to be relevant to Terminal Server or Citrix servers.. I just logged in with a different (another) admin account and the windows updates worked right away. So I guess it is user profile based problem?

I hope this helps.  :-)

With best regards
    Gorgis Acar

error 0x80096001 when trying to run windows updates.
    June 1, 2006 12:08 PM | Permalink
    I had a problem trying to run Windows Updates on a machine, getting an error "Windows Update has encountered an error and cannot display the requested page. You may find the following resources helpful in resolving the problem...'Error Number: 0x80096001"

Several kb articles (ie kb822798) mentioned the need to edit security settings and reregister dll's and/or remove the %windir%softwaredistribution directory but unfortunately this didn't work.
    Part of the troubleshooting for this involves going in and looking at the certificate status within internet explorer. When I tried to double click on the certificate it gave me the error message "system-level error occured while verifying trust" on any of the certificates.

A post on the microsoft.public.windowsupdate newsgroup gave me a clue and by logging on as another administrator it all worked - my certificates are ok and windows updates runs through successfully.

Update It turns out that the problem in this case was partially caused by having a readonly profile - for some reason the desktop folders etc were all redirected to a share that didn't exist. By searching for this entry in the registry and editing it to point to a share that did exist I was able to get the profile (and windows update) working again.

• Proposed as answer by Gorgis Thursday, February 26, 2009 8:09 PM
    Thursday, February 26, 2009 8:09 PM
  • Gorgis,

Thank you for taking the time and providing us with the information :-).

Stephen
    Stephen Holm
    Thursday, February 26, 2009 10:43 PM