none
Is an ASP.NET MVC intranet app even possible using an ACCDB? RRS feed

• Question

• I have been looking for information concerning using an ACCDB with ASP.NET MVC.

I found an article from 2013 that says it is not even possible, even for intranet applications.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/previous-versions/aspnet/jj653753(v=vs.110)#access_database

Is this still true?  (I've been through training on ASP.NET MVC, but this is my first project using it.)

Background:

MS Access is the only DBMS available to me right now, but this is a project I'm doing for a customer.  The data was originally in an MS Excel spreadsheet, but the user requires a search capability that is not possible in MS Excel(searching for partial values across an entire table.  MS Excel only allows search for entire cell value.).

Thanks!

• Moved by CoolDadTx Friday, March 15, 2019 1:43 PM ASP.NET related
    Friday, March 15, 2019 12:30 PM

Answers

• MS-Access as stated in the page provided is a bad idea all around which is exactly why the control source was removed. Your best option is to move to either SQL-Server (and note there are limitations to the Express edition) or MySql for the database.

The unfortunate fact is many customers want to get by cheaply which is fine when there are no constraints such as in your case but the constraints now dictate a more robust solution.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmarked them if they provide no help, this will help others who are looking for solutions to the same or similar problem. Contact via my Twitter (Karen Payne) or Facebook (Karen Payne) via my MSDN profile but will not answer coding question on either.

NuGet BaseConnectionLibrary for database connections.

StackOverFlow
    profile for Karen Payne on Stack Exchange

• Marked as answer by irsharp Monday, March 25, 2019 6:32 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by irsharp Monday, March 25, 2019 6:32 PM
    Friday, March 15, 2019 12:35 PM

All replies

• MS-Access as stated in the page provided is a bad idea all around which is exactly why the control source was removed. Your best option is to move to either SQL-Server (and note there are limitations to the Express edition) or MySql for the database.

The unfortunate fact is many customers want to get by cheaply which is fine when there are no constraints such as in your case but the constraints now dictate a more robust solution.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmarked them if they provide no help, this will help others who are looking for solutions to the same or similar problem. Contact via my Twitter (Karen Payne) or Facebook (Karen Payne) via my MSDN profile but will not answer coding question on either.

NuGet BaseConnectionLibrary for database connections.

StackOverFlow
    profile for Karen Payne on Stack Exchange

• Unmarked as answer by irsharp Monday, March 25, 2019 6:32 PM
    Friday, March 15, 2019 12:35 PM
  • Please post questions related to web development in the ASP.NET forums.

Michael Taylor http://www.michaeltaylorp3.net

Friday, March 15, 2019 1:43 PM
  • Thank you for the information.

I had come across a post stating that it was indeed possible to connect MS Access to MVC 5, but taking into consideration that the post was from over 2 1/2 years ago, I will take your very helpful reply, instead, and shift my focus to being prepared to participate in new projects once the "red tape" phase is completed and a MySQL or SQL*Server environment has been made available.

Thanks again!

Monday, March 25, 2019 6:39 PM