none
not able to opt alert me on a thread RRS feed

• Question

• Hello MSDN

Again i m here.

I was trying to opt alert me for a thread but not able to do that.I was asked to Subscribe for alert with a check box. I checked it with both check/uncheck but not worked.

You are not authorized to perform this action..  ( sometimes this is the output of submit button)

and sometimes it says that try later 

Want to add MVP with my name.

• Moved by Mike Kinsman Monday, March 5, 2012 1:06 AM Forums issue (From:MSDN Subscriptions Feedback)
    Friday, March 2, 2012 1:19 PM

Answers

•       Thanks for the reply. what does the below line mean :

auto-subscribe function is still broken for you when replying to threads in technet branding

When one happens upon a thread that has not been replied to AND one chooses to submit a reply then a forums back-end process is supposed to automatically set Subscribe To Alert for forums user.

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.

Friday, May 4, 2012 1:03 AM

All replies

• Sounds like your question is about the forums bahushekh, but I dont understand it. Can you clarify?  I don't know what 'opt alert me on a thread' means.

Please review the forums help and frequently asked questions in the upper right of this page.

Thanks,
    Mike

MSDN and TechNet Subscriptions Support
    Read the Subscriptions Blog!

Friday, March 2, 2012 3:44 PM
  • Hi Sir,

Thanks for the reply and I am sorry for not making the things more clear.It was due to friday and I was leaving the office in hurry.

So for example i visited a thread and I want to subscribe for the alerts on this thread. I click on alert me.Before some time it was enough to subscribe alerting on a thread.

But now it redirects to another page. where it shows 

Subscribe to Alert

Subscribe [ Checkbox]

Submit button

FIRST SITUATION

I checked the check box and clicked the submit button. It redirects me to another page which shows :

Sorry we are unable to service your request,please try again later.

( same thing happen if i dont check the checkbox and click on submit)

SECOND SITUATION

I click on submit button(both checked and unchecked state of checkbox same behaviour) and it redirects me to another page

which shows 

You are not authorized to perform this action

I went to thread again and refreshed it.Alert was subscribed well. So what this process for ? or some authentication is not working on my side and it is redirecting to any admin level pages ? 

Please let me know if i am still not able to clear the things..

Saturday, March 3, 2012 4:49 AM
  • Bahushekh, I think thats pretty clear!  I am moving your question to the right forum, though, so it can get answered. 

Thanks,
    Mike

MSDN and TechNet Subscriptions Support
    Read the Subscriptions Blog!

Monday, March 5, 2012 1:06 AM
  • Sounds like he has this same problem

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/reportabug/thread/934c5be5-ae3b-497d-aaa7-ed520c0b92f4 

and secondary to this problem when manually setting alert gets this result (see picture I posted)

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/reportabug/thread/cb058c92-e906-4c6c-9990-e79e126c7cac 

Microsoft MVP [Windows]

Monday, March 5, 2012 1:39 AM
  • I tried to reproduce your problem (I am using Google Chrome). I was able to add alert and then remove alert. What browser do you use and how security of this browser is configured?

For every expert, there is an equal and opposite expert. - Becker's Law

My blog

Monday, March 5, 2012 1:45 AM
  • I am using Google Chrome also.

I dont use any other browser so I cant say about any other.Also it is using the default settings after installation.So no changes were made on Browser.

Thanks for the reply

• Edited by bahushekh Monday, March 5, 2012 5:52 AM
    Monday, March 5, 2012 5:50 AM
  • I checked the links and seems similar problems. I picked one line from the above link

Link  'Alert Me' changed to the 'Remove Alert' after page is refreshed. If the page is not refreshed, you do not see the alert set.

But in my case page refreshed and redirects to another page. Where it behaves like above situation ( already described)

Yes I am familiar with clicking the Alert me and it changes to Remove Alert link. But for some time when i noticed this behavior i think it is an issue or a new functionality.So this thread is just making things clear.

Thanks for all replies

Monday, March 5, 2012 6:09 AM
  • Image after the clicking on Alert meAfter clicking the submit button

Hello All above are two images first is showing when I click on the "Alert Me" Link and second is the image after I click the submit button ( either check or uncheck)

Thanks all 

Thursday, March 15, 2012 6:29 AM
  • Sounds like he has this same problem

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/reportabug/thread/934c5be5-ae3b-497d-aaa7-ed520c0b92f4 

and secondary to this problem when manually setting alert gets this result (see picture I posted)

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/reportabug/thread/cb058c92-e906-4c6c-9990-e79e126c7cac 

Microsoft MVP [Windows]

Hello Ed-Price Thanks for reviewing the thread. Yes these links are helpful but not the exact answer. Below I am attaching two images of my problem.Please check those and let me know either it is a problem or any functionality.It happens every time. I am using Google Chrome and Windows 7 Os. 

Thanks Everyone

• Edited by bahushekh Thursday, March 15, 2012 6:32 AM
    Thursday, March 15, 2012 6:31 AM
  • Has anyone else been able to duplicate this?

Thanks!

Ed Price (a.k.a User Ed), SQL Server Experience Program Manager (Blog, Twitter, Wiki)

Thursday, March 29, 2012 6:24 AM
    Owner
  • Yes, very common but only in technet branded forums.

Microsoft MVP [Windows]

Thursday, March 29, 2012 7:33 PM
  • Hello Ed-Price Thanks for reviewing the thread. Yes these links are helpful but not the exact answer. Below I am attaching two images of my problem.Please check those and let me know either it is a problem or any functionality.It happens every time. I am using Google Chrome and Windows 7 Os. 

Thanks Everyone

bahushekh,

Never got those images. Can you link or try inserting them?

Thanks!

Ed Price (a.k.a User Ed), SQL Server Experience Program Manager (Blog, Twitter, Wiki)

Friday, April 20, 2012 7:48 PM
    Owner
  • I can't repro. Can anyone else repro this?

Monday, April 23, 2012 8:03 PM
    Owner
  • Hi sir please read the reply of Dave Patrick 

Yes, very common but only in technet branded forums.

Wednesday, May 2, 2012 9:36 AM
  • I don't know if it still happens or not since the only reason I noticed this issue was when the auto-subscribe function was broken for most of the first quarter of the year. I continually had to revist thread and above screenshot of checkbox with Submit button and resulting error would appear in technet brand.  The auto-subscribe function (when replying) was fixed (for me) around first few days of april. Windows 7 32 bit / IE9 here.

Microsoft MVP [Windows]

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.

Thursday, May 3, 2012 2:12 AM
  • Hi Sir 

Thanks for the reply.

I am not getting the issue as frequent as before.But after reading your reply I tested it again and got the issue again.

I am using Windows 7 64 bit and Google Chrome Browser.

Thanks for the reply.

Thursday, May 3, 2012 6:55 AM
  • So am I reading this correctly? The whole issue really is that the auto-subscribe function is still broken for you when replying to threads in technet branding only when using google chrome browser?

Microsoft MVP [Windows]

Thursday, May 3, 2012 8:09 AM
  • So am I reading this correctly? The whole issue really is that the auto-subscribe function is still broken for you when replying to threads in technet branding only when using google chrome browser?

Microsoft MVP [Windows]

Hi Sir 

Thanks for the reply. what does the below line mean :

auto-subscribe function is still broken for you when replying to threads in technet branding only when using google chrome browser.

t It is happening only when I click on "Alert Me" and not on replying.So if it is same as you wrote then I can say yes it is still broken.

e Although I can say it is not so frequent as before some time. if I got it 10 times before some time( I cant say exact before how much time) then it is 1 now. I can say yes somewhere it is working fine but not completely fixed.

Thanks

Thursday, May 3, 2012 8:28 AM
  •       Thanks for the reply. what does the below line mean :

auto-subscribe function is still broken for you when replying to threads in technet branding

When one happens upon a thread that has not been replied to AND one chooses to submit a reply then a forums back-end process is supposed to automatically set Subscribe To Alert for forums user.

Microsoft MVP [Windows]

Friday, May 4, 2012 1:03 AM
  • Hi sir 

thanx.Honestly I didnt check on reply.But I checked it with clicking on "Alert Me" link on the top of the thread.And it showed me the problem.I will also check for the same as u described.

Thanks

Friday, May 4, 2012 4:04 AM