Product key no longer valid??? RRS feed

• Question

• We all know that things go wrong and one may have to start from scratch, or one buys a new drive, or just wants to re-arrange things, all of which of can result in having to  re-install the OS. I have done so three times now over the last few years, and am looking at a fourth. From what I understand, the product code that came with my copy is only valid for a few installations. I do not want to find myself in a position of having to spend more money on something I already paid for just so I can keep my machine functioning. In this case I just want to put it on a new drive because the one it is on is showing signs it may fail soon. I own a fair amount of Microsoft products and use them every day. What's the deal? Is this also going to happen if I have to re-install my Office suite?

Thanks for your help in advance

Carl
    Sunday, November 16, 2008 4:19 AM

Answers

• You have nothing to worry about.  The product keys for both Microsoft Windows and Office can be used for reinstallation on the same computer an unlimited amount of times.
    Please note: I am not a Microsoft employee...only a voluntary forum contributor.
    • Marked as answer by wcwants2know Tuesday, November 18, 2008 5:13 AM
    Sunday, November 16, 2008 10:04 PM
  • Carlisfrustrated,

In addition to what Carey posted, please be aware of the fact that Microsoft product activation technology is designed to "flag" a Product Key if that key is activated "too many times" over a certain period of time.

If that happens and you are presented with the "too many times" error message, simply follow the Activation instructions for a Telephonic Activation.  As Carey noted, there is no limit to how many times you can activate a valid License---when many activations are done close together, automated activations are flagged from being allowed and manual, telephonic activations must be done.
    For great advice on all topics XP, visit http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp
    • Marked as answer by Antron Monday, November 17, 2008 7:05 PM
    Monday, November 17, 2008 5:22 PM

All replies

• You have nothing to worry about.  The product keys for both Microsoft Windows and Office can be used for reinstallation on the same computer an unlimited amount of times.
    Please note: I am not a Microsoft employee...only a voluntary forum contributor.
    • Marked as answer by wcwants2know Tuesday, November 18, 2008 5:13 AM
    Sunday, November 16, 2008 10:04 PM
  • Carlisfrustrated,

In addition to what Carey posted, please be aware of the fact that Microsoft product activation technology is designed to "flag" a Product Key if that key is activated "too many times" over a certain period of time.

If that happens and you are presented with the "too many times" error message, simply follow the Activation instructions for a Telephonic Activation.  As Carey noted, there is no limit to how many times you can activate a valid License---when many activations are done close together, automated activations are flagged from being allowed and manual, telephonic activations must be done.
    For great advice on all topics XP, visit http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp
    • Marked as answer by Antron Monday, November 17, 2008 7:05 PM
    Monday, November 17, 2008 5:22 PM
  • Thank you both for your time. I've never run into the problem myself, but I know two people that have, and I thought it was rather strange that it even happened at all, but what you say certainly confirms what I always thought. By the way, how does the Genuine Advantage thing fit into all this? It seems that it checks fairly often - is there a limit to the amount of times that can happen in a certain period of time? I like trying new things, so the configuration changes here and there. Just wondering if that might be an issue, though if it hasn't happened yet it probably won't. Thanks again - nice to have folks like you out there.
    Tuesday, November 18, 2008 5:29 AM