Valid Product Key? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello. I am planning to build a new computer from scratch (I haven’t purchased all of the hardware components yet), and I went ahead and purchased a new XP Professional OEM Software CD, license, COA. Before I open the shrink-wrap, is there any way to validate the Product Key, or do I have to build up my computer, load the software, and then try to validate it?

Saturday, April 24, 2010 11:41 PM

Answers

• Hello joe-2,

There is no publically-available means (that I know of) to check a product key for validity other than installing it and running the mgadiag report.

If you google the last three sets of characters and get no hits, that's a plus, but by no means does that guarantee validity.

Buy Office 2007 Now, Get Office 2010 Free http://office2010.microsoft.com/en-us/tech-guarantee/microsoft-office-2010-technology-guarantee-FX101825695.aspx?CTT=97
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Wednesday, April 28, 2010 9:23 PM
    Sunday, April 25, 2010 1:49 AM

All replies

• Hello joe-2,

There is no publically-available means (that I know of) to check a product key for validity other than installing it and running the mgadiag report.

If you google the last three sets of characters and get no hits, that's a plus, but by no means does that guarantee validity.

Buy Office 2007 Now, Get Office 2010 Free http://office2010.microsoft.com/en-us/tech-guarantee/microsoft-office-2010-technology-guarantee-FX101825695.aspx?CTT=97
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Wednesday, April 28, 2010 9:23 PM
    Sunday, April 25, 2010 1:49 AM
  • Dan, thanks for the feedback. I did look around on the Microsoft site and the Web and didn’t see anything - just the standard tools that tell you if the installed key is valid.

Since I purchased an OEM license I can’t simply install it on any old computer to check its validity because if it’s valid then the license will be “stuck” to that computer. Maybe I’ll just have to wait until I purchase all of the hardware and see if it works?

BTW - is the Product Key tied to the media that came with it?

FWIW - I did the google as suggested, and no hit on even the last 2 groups. :)

Sunday, April 25, 2010 3:17 AM
  • Hello joe-2,

You asked, "BTW - is the Product Key tied to the media that came with it?"

Genuine Microsoft installation discs do not have a product key embedded within the disc, so in that sense no one specific installation disc is directly tied to one specific product key.

Product keys are generated by algorithms that are specific to the product, all the way down to the granularity of the version ( XP, or Vista, or 7), to the edition (Home/Basic, Home Premium, Business/Professional, Ultimate), down to the sales channel (OEM, full retail, upgrade retail, volume).  So, a product key made with the algorithm used to make product keys for a specific version and edition and sales channel of Office for example will not work to activate any other specific version/edition/sales channel of Office, let alone any other product such as Windows.

Monday, April 26, 2010 1:42 AM
  • Dan, Thanks for the info on the CD. I thought the key wasn’t connected to the media but I wasn’t sure.

Back to the key - I guess I’ll find out if it’s valid when I finish building my computer - hopefully it doesn’t expire! ;)

Wednesday, April 28, 2010 2:53 AM