Error message: "Windows XP is already activated" RRS feed

• Question

• I'm trying to help my neighbor get her PC running.  They recently moved her from out of state, and just prior to moving, had their PC in the shop. 
    The PC boots up normally to the user log in screen.  No matter whose profile you try clicking on, a message pops up saying that Windows needs to be activated, and asks if you want to register Windows now.  I click 'yes' and the next screen says "Window is already activated" and takes you back to the log in screen.    It's the same vicious circle, over and over.

To add to the confusion, when restarting the machine, and trying to log into Safe Mode, all the text is in Spanish.  I can read Spanish, but only very  s l o w l y !   Anybody know how to change the language of MS's scrolling 'opening credits'??

She's indicated that they could log in and use the computer for about a week after they got it back from the shop, then started getting the Activation messages. 

• Moved by Carey FrischMVP, Editor Monday, November 23, 2009 6:51 AM Moved to relevant category (From:Office Genuine Advantage Validation Issues (Office))
    Monday, November 23, 2009 5:22 AM

Answers