What to do in the situation when OP keeps asking unrelated questions RRS feed

• General discussion

• Respected Moderator,

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/csharplanguage/thread/82258883-8a2e-42e0-a2d4-ee452106448e

The link of the thread mentioned above was answered many times. The OP is marking answer again asking the new question and unmarking the old answer. We on MSDN work hard to help other users. The thread question has become so confusing that it will be confusing to recognize the original post answer as he is continuously unmarking the old answers asking new questions again marking new answers in the thread. Though the questions are related it is a waste of efforts from MSDN contributors so please instruct the OP regarding starting a new thread to a new question.

Thanks Rehan Bharucha - The Tech Robot (MCTS, MCITP, MCPD, MCT, MCC)

• Edited by REHAN BHARUCHA Tuesday, April 24, 2012 4:14 AM
    • Split by Naomi N Monday, August 20, 2012 5:24 PM Unrelated to the sticky thread
    Tuesday, April 24, 2012 4:14 AM

All replies

• This particular case, in my opinion, is OK. I've seen much worse cases when the OP was continuing asking questions and keep unmarking answers.

I voted your reply as helpful.

For every expert, there is an equal and opposite expert. - Becker's Law

My blog

Tuesday, April 24, 2012 12:07 PM
  • Ok Mam,

I agree to your point. Yes there are even worst cases than this referred by me but there should be some way in the rule book of msdn such that the original post answer once marked the op can continue the post with new questions but he must keep the older marked answers also as just look at the thread it has become so confusing to find the answer to the original post. We as MSDN users request you moderators that we have answered only the original post thereafter we can't continuously sit on the PC and keep on answering his all doubts coming after that 24 hours a day and in mean time if someone answers a new question the original post answer is unmarked and the new answer is kept for long. Please find the solution for this problem mam as a moderator. Please as we strive and work hard searching down things the OPs without understanding our efforts just ruin it in a second.

Thanks Rehan Bharucha - The Tech Robot (MCTS, MCITP, MCPD, MCT, MCC)

Tuesday, April 24, 2012 1:42 PM
  • I absolutely agree that it gets confusing if a poster asks additional questions in the same thread, after the answer has been provided & accepted, but I don't agree with the statement "it is a waste of efforts from MSDN contributors". I was a MCC myself, until I co-authored a book, had a break-down, & I wasn't renewed. But that doesn't matter to me. I was doing no different before I got the award, I was doing no different during the writing of the book, & I'm doing nothing different now that I'm back without any award. As Tim Copenharver, one of the posters in the thread that you linked to, said, "most of us are just here to answer questions because it's what we like to do, not for some mostly meaningless virtual points system". That's exactly why I do what I do.

When I answer questions, or spend time explaining something to the asker of a question, the only time that I ever come even close feeling that I'm wasting my time is if someone ignores the advice that everyone is giving them.

So, it depends on why you're discussing this issue. If it's because the behavior will make it harder for people to find answers when they're buried in the wrong thread, I'm with you all the way. But if you're concerned about your time being wasted, I'd have to ask why you're spending time answering questions in the first place. For me it's thrill of being able to help someone, pass on some knowledge that I've gained along the way, or prevent someone falling into the same trap that I may have.

Reading through the thread, I don't see anything other than someone who's new to forums, doing what he thought was the right thing. When he was confronted (& unless I missed something, he was only corrected the one time), he apologised & offered to fix the problem. The phrase "please dont game with the system", however, seems pretty harsh to me. I also don't see a lot of unrelated questions to be honest. They all seemed to be about LINQ, & they all seemed to flow to me.

So I don't understand such a passionate plea to the moderators in this thread.

Yann - LightSwitch Central - Click here for FREE Themes, Controls, Types and Commands

If you find a reply helpful, please click "Vote as Helpful", if a reply answers your question, please click "Mark as Answer"

By doing this you'll help people find answers faster.

Monday, August 20, 2012 3:52 PM
  • I split this thread into its own discussion as it was unrelated to my original link thread pointing a place to make suggestions. I believe this forum is not checked for suggestions anymore although I don't know if that WiKi article is checked either.

My blog

Monday, August 20, 2012 5:31 PM
  • BTW, the bug I mentioned a while ago in Forum's feedback thread is still there - if the sticky thread is split, it retains the 'sticky' attribute which I don't believe it should.

My blog

Monday, August 20, 2012 5:32 PM
  • In the first time, instruct him to create new topic and explain it won't do any good for the search engines to capture the answers if people experienced similar problem later.

If he ignore it and keep asking unrelated things the same way, just ignore him. If he really need the answer for the new questions, he'll create a new thread.

Friday, August 24, 2012 3:11 AM