none
IE Errors on Every Page

Question

• In the Forums now I get an IE message about security certificate errors on every page, with everything I do. For example:

Is anyone else experiencing this? It doesn't matter if I click "Show content" or close the message.

Edit: Actually, I see this message on any TechNet page. I see it in the forums and the TechNet Gallery, but not blogs or MSDN forums and pages.

Richard Mueller - MVP Enterprise Mobility (Identity and Access)

Friday, October 21, 2016 6:23 PM

Answers

• I don't have anything left with IE9. I'm on a windows 7 now with IE11 and don't have those errors. Clock isn't off by chance? Otherwise may have to try the dreaded reset / clear cache.

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows Server] Datacenter Management

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

Friday, October 21, 2016 6:42 PM

All replies

• Not happening here on Edge or in IE11

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

Friday, October 21, 2016 6:28 PM
  • I was posting with Edge when I got errors before I could submit, so I switched to another computer with IE 9. That is when I started getting the errors about security certificates. I assumed the same issue caused my problem in Edge. But now I see the error messages only in IE 9, not in Edge.

Friday, October 21, 2016 6:35 PM
  • I don't have anything left with IE9. I'm on a windows 7 now with IE11 and don't have those errors. Clock isn't off by chance? Otherwise may have to try the dreaded reset / clear cache.

Friday, October 21, 2016 6:42 PM
  • I reset (which was not pretty). That didn't help. How do I clear cache? Is that the same as deleting browser history?

Friday, October 21, 2016 8:19 PM
  • Yea, that's it. History / cookies / TIF

Friday, October 21, 2016 8:22 PM
  • Still no good. I guess I will email fissues.

I use IE 9 because later versions have too many problems in the TechNet Wiki. FireFox is a bit better, but no regulars in the Wiki use newer versions of IE. We have waited for updates to the Wiki platform for two years now.

Friday, October 21, 2016 8:28 PM
  • Shucks, sorry to have steered you down a wrong path. I've seen that issue before in the past but not necessarily with forums. You might be able to add the site to trusted zone. In the past for me I have just put up with it and it may just go away.

Friday, October 21, 2016 8:34 PM
  • In the Forums now I get an IE message about security certificate errors on every page, with everything I do.

Coincidentally I did a WLANReport today and noticed that certutil found a pile of certificates left by Fiddler.  I started Fiddler and then used its options to delete those.

The command WLANReport supposedly executes is

'certutil -store -silent My & certutil -store -silent -user My'

My problem (on W10 14393.321) is getting Security Alert showing (it seems) every redirection to and from HTTPS.  Some of the warnings don't make any sense to me but I would need to trace properly to be sure.  I could suppress the warnings but I'm worried about getting some of the other worse symptoms that others have been complaining about with that build.  Anyway purging the Fiddler certificates doesn't seem to have helped with that symptom.

BTW I'm sure you could suppress your warnings too if you wanted to.  Check Internet Options, Advanced tab, Security section.   For example, there are two there about certificates

Check for publisher's certificate revocation

Check for server certificate revocation

I don't know what the difference will be for your symptom.

Also, if you are using IE try checking for clues in the Developer Tools, Console tab.  (F12, Ctrl-2).  To maximize the output there you may need to make sure the Clear on navigate is not on (i.e., make sure it has a white background) and it may also help to use the switch in the Options, Advanced tab which lets us see messages even when the DT is not open...

Always record developer console messages (first item in the Browsing section).

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Saturday, October 22, 2016 3:16 AM
  • Yes I have the same issue, but it seems only happening in lower versions of IE.

Alexis Zhang

http://mvp.microsoft.com/zh-cn/mvp/Jie%20Zhang-4000545
    http://blogs.itecn.net/blogs/alexis

| In the Forums now I get an IE message about security certificate errors on every page, with everything I do. For example:
    | Is anyone else experiencing this? It doesn't matter if I click "Show content" or close the message.

Sunday, October 23, 2016 9:46 AM
  • Yes I have the same issue, but it seems only happening in lower versions of IE.

Thinking back on this; I remember about four years ago going through similar issues that cropped up around IE8 and in the end forums engineers reported that IE8 went out of support for forums application.

Sunday, October 23, 2016 2:07 PM
  • only happening in lower versions of IE.

Which probably implies an unsupported OS?  When I check the certificates involved it looks like the encryption standard being used is  SHA2  which I imagine only is supported in newer OS.  Then without that where does the "encryption standard negotiation handshake" go?  Probably to deprecated, unsupported standards, thus digging up old expired certificates.

So, if you don't want the warning, try to find a way to suppress it.

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Sunday, October 23, 2016 3:10 PM
  • I was busy yesterday, but today after refreshing, I no longer have the problem. I know when I flushed history and such earlier, I shutdown IE and restarted. I don't know what is different today, but my IE 9 no longer has the error message about certificates. Maybe a certificate got refreshed, but then why only older versions of IE had the problem? But I am fine now.

Sunday, October 23, 2016 5:14 PM