none
failed the 70-511 exam RRS feed

• Question

• Hey. A company I work for is working towards getting a gold partnership with microsoft.

I have been studying wpf for about 5 weeks. I finally took the test a few days ago, and only got 450. The pass mark is 700. The exam is divided into 4 sections, I got about 50-55% in each section.

I feel pretty bummed out. I was really confident and thought I was going to ACE the exam.

My study materials were:
    - Matthew MacDonald - Pro WPF in c# 2010 (1300page wpf book)
    - Transcender's exam platform + the transcender 50-711 practice exam

My thoughts:
    the transcender exam was NOTHING even closely resembling the official 70-511 exam.
    the things I read in the wpf book only skimmed the surface of the topics I came across in the exam. the exam was full of really obscure questions

does anyone have any suggestions? I have to take this exam again some time soon

edit: also I thought I might add my level of hands-on experience
    - 3 years c++
    - 2 years c#
    - 1 year java
    - 5 to 6 weeks of WPF (as per doing examples in books)

Tuesday, May 24, 2011 1:38 AM

Answers

• - 5 to 6 weeks of WPF (as per doing examples in books)

These certification exams test your knowledge of a given technology, not your ability to exam cram.

Only having 5-6 weeks experience with WPF is generally not sufficient to pass the exam.

Audience Profile

The candidate works in a development environment that uses Microsoft Visual Studio .NET 2010 and Microsoft .NET Framework 4.0 to create WinForms and WPF applications. The candidate should have at least one year of experience developing Windows-based applications by using Visual Studio, including at least six months of experience with Visual Studio 2010 Professional.

http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/exam.aspx?ID=70-511

Jeff Wharton MSysDev (C.Sturt), MDbDsgnMgt (C.Sturt) MCT, MCPD, MCITP, MCDBA, MCSD, MCAD
    Tuesday, May 24, 2011 2:26 AM
  • Hi Bob,

You could also try the Microsoft Self-Paced Training Guide working through this should help and it includes a disc witth practice questions.

http://oreilly.com/catalog/9780735627406/

Good Luck,

Ozzy Geoff

Tuesday, May 24, 2011 12:58 PM

All replies

• - 5 to 6 weeks of WPF (as per doing examples in books)

These certification exams test your knowledge of a given technology, not your ability to exam cram.

Only having 5-6 weeks experience with WPF is generally not sufficient to pass the exam.

Audience Profile

The candidate works in a development environment that uses Microsoft Visual Studio .NET 2010 and Microsoft .NET Framework 4.0 to create WinForms and WPF applications. The candidate should have at least one year of experience developing Windows-based applications by using Visual Studio, including at least six months of experience with Visual Studio 2010 Professional.

http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/exam.aspx?ID=70-511

Jeff Wharton MSysDev (C.Sturt), MDbDsgnMgt (C.Sturt) MCT, MCPD, MCITP, MCDBA, MCSD, MCAD
    Tuesday, May 24, 2011 2:26 AM
  • I've actually got about 3 to 5 years experience with different versions of visual studio (back from vb6). But:

-2 years of hobby-based experience in vb6
    -1 year of c++ via a console for university
    -2 years of c++ and csharp in visual studio 2005, 2008 and 2010, doing assignments for university and developing games with XNA/OpenGL, as well as various winforms applications (like chatbots, mini games, tools)

About 5 months ago I commenced official work the I.T. industry for a software/consulting company, so I've been supporting winforms applications with visual studio/c#. I thought that this kind of experience was sufficient enough to atleast 'brush' the pass mark. I mean 450 is pretty bad

Tuesday, May 24, 2011 3:22 AM
  • I've actually got about 3 to 5 years experience with different versions of visual studio (back from vb6). But:

-2 years of hobby-based experience in vb6
    -1 year of c++ via a console for university
    -2 years of c++ and csharp in visual studio 2005, 2008 and 2010, doing assignments for university and developing games with XNA/OpenGL, as well as various winforms applications (like chatbots, mini games, tools)

About 5 months ago I commenced official work the I.T. industry for a software/consulting company, so I've been supporting winforms applications with visual studio/c#. I thought that this kind of experience was sufficient enough to atleast 'brush' the pass mark. I mean 450 is pretty bad

But you stated previously:

5 to 6 weeks of WPF (as per doing examples in books)

Given that this is a WPF exam and the fact that your expereince is only with the examples in the book, it is unlikely that you have acquired enough "working knowledge" of WPF

Tuesday, May 24, 2011 3:35 AM
  • fair enough. The company is pushing everyone available to try and get our gold partnership established by mid june. So i guess i may have been rushing into this..

When i purchased the session to sit the exam, i was offered a free 'second chance' for $30 ontop of the original price, so I paid extra. But i think it expires in a month or two.

Is there some 'other' way to approach this? aside from studying the books, doing practice exams and tutorials.

The only way I can think of, is actually doing a large formal  WPF project that involves all of the features.

Tuesday, May 24, 2011 4:13 AM
  • Maybe try some of these Hands-on-Labs

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?familyid=05755a9d-98fa-4f16-bfdc-023e3fd34763&displaylang=en

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/tims/archive/2006/01/23/516625.aspx

Tuesday, May 24, 2011 4:16 AM
  • wow thanks
    Tuesday, May 24, 2011 5:08 AM
  • No Problem.

If I've answered your question, would you mind marking it as answered :-)

Tuesday, May 24, 2011 5:09 AM
  • Don't use these dumps
    Tuesday, May 24, 2011 8:30 AM
  • Hi Bob,

You could also try the Microsoft Self-Paced Training Guide working through this should help and it includes a disc witth practice questions.

http://oreilly.com/catalog/9780735627406/

Good Luck,

Ozzy Geoff

Tuesday, May 24, 2011 12:58 PM
  • i keep coming across the ms self-paced training guide. But I can see it as being identical to the book that I already have:

http://www.amazon.com/Pro-WPF-2010-Matthew-MacDonald/dp/1430272058

And I don't really want to spend more money than I already have :/

Tuesday, May 24, 2011 10:58 PM