OneCare Keeps Deleting My Website Passwords RRS feed

• Question

• I have not been able to find an answer to my dilemma. My passwords keep getting deleted by OneCare on websites like game rooms and facebook, etc.  How can I prevent it from deleting my passwords?  There is no place in OneCare Preferences that I can find to change the settings.  Can anyone help me?  Thank you.
    Wednesday, June 3, 2009 5:24 PM

Answers

• I moved your post to the Tune-up forum out of Off topic.
    OneCare deletes your cookies and temporary Internet Files periodically, and this may be what you are seeing. When you choose to have login credentials to be saved, the web site stores that as a cookie on your PC.
    if that is what you are experiencing, you cannot change this behavior in OneCare, but it only does it a few times monthly - it does not do it daily. If your information is never saved, you need to check your cookie handling settings in your browser privacy options.
    -steve
    Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare & Live Mesh Forum Moderator
    Wednesday, June 3, 2009 5:34 PM

All replies

• I moved your post to the Tune-up forum out of Off topic.
    OneCare deletes your cookies and temporary Internet Files periodically, and this may be what you are seeing. When you choose to have login credentials to be saved, the web site stores that as a cookie on your PC.
    if that is what you are experiencing, you cannot change this behavior in OneCare, but it only does it a few times monthly - it does not do it daily. If your information is never saved, you need to check your cookie handling settings in your browser privacy options.
    -steve
    Wednesday, June 3, 2009 5:34 PM
  • Steve, I don't believe that OneCare itself does this, since the CleanMgr.exe utility that Disk Cleanup uses to remove Temporary Files has never deleted cookies that I recall.

I'd personally guess this is more likely to be related to settings in Internet Explorer, especially IE 8, which has a settting under 'Delete Browsing History' for Cookies which is checked by default.  However, there's also a default setting of Preserve Favorites website data which normally avoids this unless it has been unchecked.

Microsoft has generally been hesitant to touch cookies for this very reason, so I don't believe it's OneCare doing this, but rather some combination of settings elsewhere.

OneCareBear
    Windows OneCare Forum Moderator
    Wednesday, June 3, 2009 6:12 PM
  • Thanks for the additional comments, OneCareBear. You may be correct. It has been a while since I reviewed what specific actions OneCare was taking - I am pretty sure that it is clearing the Temporary Internet Files and I seem to recall that it also cleared cookies, but that may be related to a setting. It happens as part of the under the covers "Performance Plus" checks and fixes that happen on various schedules - daily, weekly, monthly - the macro security settings, for example. It appears to me that I lose cookies with login on about a monthly frequency on machines using OneCare, but that may also be due to cookie expiration. ;-)
    -steve

Thursday, June 4, 2009 1:05 PM
  • Actually, your response jogged my memory.  As I recall, the "Performance Plus" check would modify the 'Advanced Cookie Settings' found in the Internet Options, Privacy tab, Advanced button.  Originally, if these were turned on, it would reset them both to something like 'Prompt' as I recall.  After our complaints, the action was changed to leave them as they were if they were anything other than 'Allow'.

I still don't believe I remember the cookies themselves being deleted, just the security defaults being messed with.  Since the only thing I could find in CleanMgr.exe was Temporary Internet/Temporary Files, I also believe these purposefully avoid cookies and even then only normally delete files more than a week old.  Since cookies are modified every time you use them, I doubt that most would ever be affected if they were used regularly.

I'd think if cookies were being deleted regularly for all OneCare users we'd have heard many more complaints than this.  We've had major scream fests about much less.

OneCareBear
    Thursday, June 4, 2009 7:03 PM
  • Actually, your response jogged my memory
    My memory could use some jogging. :-)
    I'd think if cookies were being deleted regularly for all OneCare users we'd have heard many more complaints than this.  We've had major scream fests about much less.

OneCareBear
    True, true. Perhaps we're not looking at a OneCare issue, then, and simply normal cookie expiration in my case and something else entirely in the case of the original question in thios thread.
    -steve
    Friday, June 5, 2009 1:25 PM