none
Upgrading from windows XP RRS feed

• Question

• I currently run a machine using windows XP Media Centre Edition with SP3.

I own an uninstalled retail copy of Windows XP professional

I wish to upgrade to windows vista business.

Can I upgrade from XP Media Centre to XP Professional and then upgrade again to Windows Vista Business using a retail version of vista business?

Thursday, May 8, 2014 9:36 AM

Answers

• As MCE is a superset of Pro, I doubt that a true upgrade will be possible (you would have to use a disk slipstreamed to SP3 level anyhow for an upgrade) - you would have to do a clean install.

Also, If I remember right, MCE never got the SP3 bits? This may make possible an upgrade if you use a slipstreamed XPPro SP3 disk for the job.

Run the Upgrade Advisor first to check hardware compatibility - if it's OK, and your XP Pro is genuine and valid then you can use the double-install method to clean-install a Vista Business Upgrade edition.

I'd take the opportunity for a clean install anyhow, personally :)

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
    CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    No - I do not work for Microsoft, or any of its contractors.

Thursday, May 8, 2014 10:55 PM
  • Please review: Windows Vista editions to see which specific editions of Windows XP Media Center can be directly upgraded to Windows Vista Business edition.

Carey Frisch

Saturday, May 10, 2014 10:11 PM

All replies

• Download and run the Microsoft Windows Vista Upgrade Advisor.  For additional assistance, please visit the more appropriate Windows Vista Community Forum.

Carey Frisch

Thursday, May 8, 2014 1:12 PM
  • As MCE is a superset of Pro, I doubt that a true upgrade will be possible (you would have to use a disk slipstreamed to SP3 level anyhow for an upgrade) - you would have to do a clean install.

Also, If I remember right, MCE never got the SP3 bits? This may make possible an upgrade if you use a slipstreamed XPPro SP3 disk for the job.

Run the Upgrade Advisor first to check hardware compatibility - if it's OK, and your XP Pro is genuine and valid then you can use the double-install method to clean-install a Vista Business Upgrade edition.

I'd take the opportunity for a clean install anyhow, personally :)

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
    CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    No - I do not work for Microsoft, or any of its contractors.

Thursday, May 8, 2014 10:55 PM
  • Please review: Windows Vista editions to see which specific editions of Windows XP Media Center can be directly upgraded to Windows Vista Business edition.

Carey Frisch

Saturday, May 10, 2014 10:11 PM