Installation - ntkrnlmp.exe could not be loaded - error code 7 RRS feed

• Question

• The subject of this topic says it all. I'm trying to install WHS on a  brandnew computer. I bought WHS with it, but it was not preinstalled.

I get through the setup wizard. When it reboots and continues setup in textmode I get an error:
    ntkrnlmp.exe could not be loaded. Returned error code 7.

It reboots after pressing a key. I tried the installation again without any change... I've tried installing the 120-day trial version that I already installed before on an older machine, and this version seems to install fine.

Can anyone help me solve this problem ? I'm not really eager to go back to the shop because of a faulty CD... They don't have WHS in stock so it needs to be ordered :(

Is there a way to "upgrade" my licence to the correct one ? Maybe I can copy this file from a working version and overwrite the faulty one on the other installation ?

Thx in advance
    Mathew
    Saturday, February 21, 2009 3:43 PM

Answers

• Hi Mathew,
    such errors by my experience can be caused by reading issues on the drive, but also by faulty memory.
    You could try another drive (borrow one from another PC) and see if this works (other drives have often a chance to read DVDs, which one drive cannot access).
    Check also, that the DVD is clean and has no scratches.
    You can not use the trial version for installing the licensed version, since the time bomb is built into the code.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    • Marked as answer by Mathieu Maes Wednesday, December 1, 2010 1:17 PM
    Saturday, February 21, 2009 9:11 PM

All replies

• Hi Mathew,
    such errors by my experience can be caused by reading issues on the drive, but also by faulty memory.
    You could try another drive (borrow one from another PC) and see if this works (other drives have often a chance to read DVDs, which one drive cannot access).
    Check also, that the DVD is clean and has no scratches.
    You can not use the trial version for installing the licensed version, since the time bomb is built into the code.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    • Marked as answer by Mathieu Maes Wednesday, December 1, 2010 1:17 PM
    Saturday, February 21, 2009 9:11 PM
  • Mathieu,

According to KB318729 this error can also be caused by incorrect BIOS settings. So just in case I would suggest to try resetting the BIOS to its default values.
    Theo.
    No home server like Home Server
    Saturday, February 21, 2009 11:00 PM