10 exams for MCPD: Enterprise Application Developer 3.5 ?? RRS feed

Answers

• THaynes said:

Please correct me if I am wrong..

But to obtain the MCPD:EAD under Visual Studio 2005 / .NET 2.0, there were 5 exams.

To obtain the same designation under Visual Studio 2008 / .NET 3.5, there are now 10 exams?

MCTS: .NET Framework 3.5, Windows Forms Applications (two exams)

MCTS: .NET Framework 3.5, ASP.NET Applications (two exams)

MCTS: .NET Framework 3.5, ADO.NET Applications (two exams)

MCTS: .NET Framework 3.5, Windows Communication Foundation Applications (two exams)

Exam 70-565: PRO: Designing and Developing Enterprise Applications using Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 (available soon)

And 70-536, for the 2.0 fundamentals.

Please correct me if I am wrong.  That sure seems like a LOT of exams.  

Thanks

Tim

Actually no. First you have to pass 70-536 which is good for 2.0 and 3.5. It is the introductory test to your certification and the hardest. Once you have passed that test you only need to pass one more test to become MCTS certified. You can choose from six different certification choices for 3.5(three for 2.0).

For example; You pass 70-536 and the test for win apps 3.5 - You are now certified for MCTS: .NET Framework 3.5, Windows Forms Applications

Lets say you want the MCPD Enterprise Certification. Then you will need to pass 3 more tests and the 70-565 test. The three tests are ADO.NET, Web and I believe WCF, but I could be wrong which ones exactly you have to pass.
    Thats a total of 6 tests starting from scratch.

For current MCTS - They only have to take one upgrade test for 3.5 Certification
    For current MCPD - They have to take 2 upgrade tests for 3.5 Certification.

For reference check this link out for all possible scenarios. 
    http://www.microsoft.com/learning/mcp/mcpd/vstudio/2008/default.mspx
    MCTS
    • Marked as answer by Ken Rosen_MS Monday, June 30, 2008 9:09 PM
    Thursday, May 15, 2008 10:56 PM

All replies

• THaynes said:

Please correct me if I am wrong..

But to obtain the MCPD:EAD under Visual Studio 2005 / .NET 2.0, there were 5 exams.

To obtain the same designation under Visual Studio 2008 / .NET 3.5, there are now 10 exams?

MCTS: .NET Framework 3.5, Windows Forms Applications (two exams)

MCTS: .NET Framework 3.5, ASP.NET Applications (two exams)

MCTS: .NET Framework 3.5, ADO.NET Applications (two exams)

MCTS: .NET Framework 3.5, Windows Communication Foundation Applications (two exams)

Exam 70-565: PRO: Designing and Developing Enterprise Applications using Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 (available soon)

And 70-536, for the 2.0 fundamentals.

Please correct me if I am wrong.  That sure seems like a LOT of exams.  

Thanks

Tim

Actually no. First you have to pass 70-536 which is good for 2.0 and 3.5. It is the introductory test to your certification and the hardest. Once you have passed that test you only need to pass one more test to become MCTS certified. You can choose from six different certification choices for 3.5(three for 2.0).

For example; You pass 70-536 and the test for win apps 3.5 - You are now certified for MCTS: .NET Framework 3.5, Windows Forms Applications

Lets say you want the MCPD Enterprise Certification. Then you will need to pass 3 more tests and the 70-565 test. The three tests are ADO.NET, Web and I believe WCF, but I could be wrong which ones exactly you have to pass.
    Thats a total of 6 tests starting from scratch.

For current MCTS - They only have to take one upgrade test for 3.5 Certification
    For current MCPD - They have to take 2 upgrade tests for 3.5 Certification.

For reference check this link out for all possible scenarios. 
    http://www.microsoft.com/learning/mcp/mcpd/vstudio/2008/default.mspx
    MCTS
    • Marked as answer by Ken Rosen_MS Monday, June 30, 2008 9:09 PM
    Thursday, May 15, 2008 10:56 PM
  • Hi Tim -

I work with clients to make sense of these tracks every day - specifically the .NET MCTS and MCPD tracks (2.0 and 3.5).  I know how confusing it is, believe me....

The great news is NO IT IS NOT TEN EXAMS for you.....it's 6.  Why?  The first exam for ALL of the MCTS: .NET blah blah bla tracks whether 2.0 or 3.5, is the same common thread exam - the 70-536 and it's not specific to 2.0 anymore it's for 2.0 or 3.5...says right in the description of the exam prep on the MS site.  soooo....here's the layout for the track you are interested in: 

MCPD:  Enterprise Application Developer 3.5 -- the exams required 70-536, 70-503, 70-505, 70-562, 70-561 and 70-565

Do them by first passing 70-536, then one by one knocking off the MCTS's required with the additional exam for each in whichever order you are most comfortable with.  Then when all 4 below are achieved after 5 exams, then do 70-565.

MCTS: .Net Framework 3.5 ASP.NET Application 
    MCTS: .Net Framework 3.5 Windows Forms Applications
    MCTS: .Net Framework 3.5 ADO.NET Applications
    MCTS: .Net Framework 3.5 Windows Communication Foundation

DOES THIS HELP?

Email me anytime if you need education help along the way!
    http://www.nhmn.com/AboutUs/People/ta.aspx#SEERY

Seeryously

Tuesday, May 26, 2009 8:42 PM