none
70-642 Exam Experience RRS feed

• General discussion

• Hello

I tookk the 70-642 January 7th, 2012. I am sad to say that I scored a 490. I do not have a year of server experience which was recommended. I read the entire book (MS Press Book 2nd edition 70-642) and worked through 90% of the examples in dns, dhcp and network (IPv4, IPv6) sections. I worked through 20% of the network montioring, network access and another (don't remember off the top of my head). I was scoring above 95% on the practice exam. I put alot of time into studying.

The actual test was more difficult than the practice exam and examples (walk through examples). Some of the items on the actual test were not covered in the book.

Enough of that. What I learned is that if you do not have 1 year experience working with all aspects of server 2008 then the MS book is great for an outline that allows you to get all parts functioning. But I highly recommend another study guide or at lease another practice test module that had more indepth questions and is more challenging. Since I failed the exam I've worked through all the examples in the MS book including reading much of the book again. In addition I have been using the transcender testing module. Although their module does not come with a very good guide the questions are challenging and answers are explained.

Hopefully this information will benefit someone out there. I am hoping to be ready for the 2nd try sometime in March.

Kemal Miller

Thursday, February 23, 2012 8:40 PM

All replies

• Hi Kemal,

I've recently learned that the first edition of the books are completely useless for the revised exams. The experience is not that necessary (I passed with very little) but anyone taking the current exam MUST make sure they use the version of the book covering server 2008R2

MCP, MCDST, MCTS x 6, MCITP x 3

Please don't forget to mark this post as an answer if it is the solution to your problem!

If you like trance music, please subscribe to my podcast Trancendance Podcast

View my MCP Certifications

Follow me on Twitter

Thursday, February 23, 2012 8:58 PM
  • Brian

Thanks for the replay. Yes, I did purchase the 2nd edition as a study guide. I find that my learning style is "hands on". Currently I am working through the Transcender testing module's name resolution section: 55 questions. I am taking the time to create zone types and exploring all other options as they pertain to the Transcender testing module.

Here is a question you may be able to answer. Transcender has several questions that state forwarders or conditional forwarders cannot be created when there is a root zone. I am using VMware 5 and have numerous machines with many roles installed. I've never seen a root zone installed on my dns server. I've researched the question to find that people are saying the root zone was installed by default on server 2000. But not in 2008 R2.

Kemal Miller

Thursday, February 23, 2012 9:05 PM
  • In 2008r2, Root Hints are installed by default. (Not a root zone)
    If you add a second Domain controller, a forwarder to the 1st domain controller is automatically added for you.

If you would like to create a root zone, Create a zone named "." (No quotes) It will disable forwarding and root hints.

Basically not allowing traffic out of your network. If you need to allow traffic and there is a .(root) zone listed.

Delete the root and configure either a Forwarder or add the root hints(cache.dns) back onto the server.

Hope this helps!

Tammie King

www.techgrouptraining.com

Friday, February 24, 2012 2:04 AM
  • Wow. Thanks for the information. It is a struggle searching google or other search engines to find this informaiton: precise and to the point.

I did add a second domain controller to the forest. Checked the properties --> forwarders tab to find that there is a forwarder to the primary DNS server.

I created a new zone named "." without the quotes. It is named .(root) after completion. I then tried to create a condition forwarder and was unable to.

Thank you very much.

Kemal Miller

Friday, February 24, 2012 4:01 AM
  • Hello

I have another question regarding training. What are your thoughts on the MeasureUp practice exam. Microsoft has it listed as a preperation guide.

Kemal Miller

Friday, February 24, 2012 6:05 AM