Can't access shared folder from client RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I can't seem to access any of the supposedly shared folders from WHS from a client connected to the same LAN.

In opening File Explorer at the client and checking My Network Places I can't see any of the shared folders.  If I go to WHS Console, click on Shared Folders button, then select one of the folders (for example, Music) and click on the Open button, I get an Error MessageBox after about 10 seconds with the wording:

---------------------------
    Windows Home Server Console
    "\\XXXXXXXXXX\Music"

Access is denied.
    OK  

I exchanged my server name for XXXXXXXX on purpose.

Any ideas?  Is this how it's supposed to be?

Thanks,
    Thursday, May 17, 2007 11:20 PM

Answers

• Did you create a matching account/w password on WHS as on your client? This is the first thing I think of when I hear somebody is getting an "access denied" error message. Each computer account needs a matching User name and Password on the client machine and the Server in order to acheive access. Each computer can have up to ten User Accounts plus the Guest Account, and in order for each account to properly authenticate across the LAN, each must have the exact same User Name and Password on each networked computer and the Server. Good luck, if this is not the issue please write in more details of your configuration,

Seree

Friday, May 18, 2007 12:20 AM

All replies

• Did you create a matching account/w password on WHS as on your client? This is the first thing I think of when I hear somebody is getting an "access denied" error message. Each computer account needs a matching User name and Password on the client machine and the Server in order to acheive access. Each computer can have up to ten User Accounts plus the Guest Account, and in order for each account to properly authenticate across the LAN, each must have the exact same User Name and Password on each networked computer and the Server. Good luck, if this is not the issue please write in more details of your configuration,

Seree

Friday, May 18, 2007 12:20 AM
  • Hi Seree,

I believe you were referring to my account in Windows, in the client computer, having the same name and password as my account in WHS, correct?

Well, it must have been what you meant, since that's exactly what I did (the usernames were the same, but passwords were different), matching username and passwords, and it now works!

Thanks for the tip.
    Saturday, May 19, 2007 12:54 PM
  • You are quite welcome, glad to be of assistance, and thank you for marking my response as helpful, have a great day,

Seree

Saturday, May 19, 2007 4:37 PM
  • I have the same problem, but I have the same user name/ password on the server and client, but still get the same "access is denied" message.  Any other ideas???

Saturday, October 13, 2007 2:40 PM
  •  

Just had the same problem.

Resolved by restarting the server.  graceful shut down,  and now come back to find i have the data corruption problems.

Near enough all my *.exe's and such are corroupt,   Same problem i had in beta.

Not a happy bunny,   now in the process of trashing the lot,  and putting xp pro 64bit back on there as a file server.

Saturday, October 13, 2007 2:57 PM
  • Ok, I was reading some other posts, and I deleted my account on WHS and re-created it, an now it works!

Saturday, October 13, 2007 2:58 PM
  •  Wesley Rickward wrote:

Just had the same problem.

Resolved by restarting the server.  graceful shut down,  and now come back to find i have the data corruption problems.

Near enough all my *.exe's and such are corroupt,   Same problem i had in beta.

Not a happy bunny,   now in the process of trashing the lot,  and putting xp pro 64bit back on there as a file server.

The data corruption is most likely due to alternate data streams being present.  MS is aware of the issue and is working on a fix for it.

Saturday, October 13, 2007 3:29 PM
  •  

Hope they get it fixed.

Cannot believe they have released this, when they know about this issue,  it was present in beta and they still go RTM with it.

No wonder hp is holding back releasing their hardware whith this installed on it Sad

Real shame  i love the product,  but at this moment in time i cannot put my faith in it.

Gonna have to go into work on monday and tell a fair few people whom i have recommended it to, to hold fire for a while.  I would hate for co-workers to lose their data due to something i had told them was a good buy.  Sad

Saturday, October 13, 2007 3:33 PM

Hope they get it fixed.

Cannot believe they have released this, when they know about this issue,  it was present in beta and they still go RTM with it.

No wonder hp is holding back releasing their hardware whith this installed on it

Real shame  i love the product,  but at this moment in time i cannot put my faith in it.

Gonna have to go into work on monday and tell a fair few people whom i have recommended it to, to hold fire for a while.  I would hate for co-workers to lose their data due to something i had told them was a good buy. 

The problem was only discovered about a week ago.  Here is the link for the article.  I think someone posted a way to quickly check and remove ADS as well, but I can't seem to find it now...

Saturday, October 13, 2007 3:39 PM
  •  

uh huh,  no way.

This happened in exactly the same way to me early on in beta,  and in rc2  lol.

This was not only just discovered!!

Check back on the forums you will see a fair few people have suffered the same thing from way back.

Now in beta i can understand it.   But not in release.

Saturday, October 13, 2007 3:42 PM

uh huh,  no way.

This happened in exactly the same way to me early on in beta,  and in rc2  lol.

This was not only just discovered!!

Check back on the forums you will see a fair few people have suffered the same thing from way back.

Now in beta i can understand it.   But not in release.

Sorry, let me clarify:  Yes, it was a problem in beta.  No one from MS determined what the problem was until last week.

Saturday, October 13, 2007 3:45 PM
  •  

lol  thats cool,  im not getting at you matey,  or anyone at all to be honest.

Just very annoyed.  

Well fingers crossed they get it sorted soon,   never know a ms product to be this bad at release to be honest.

This is not a slur on the home server team,  as what they have got is an excellent product.  Just not sure its ready to be out yet Wink

Saturday, October 13, 2007 3:47 PM
  • I just rebooted mine and it worked.
    Saturday, December 22, 2007 5:50 AM
  • Seree,
    I am not quite sure what this means, and you seem to know what you are talking about.  So I figure I'll ask you, or anyone else, lol. I have several current problems, any help would be great.

- I currently have 3 computers connected to my server,  on my laptop, it changed my login (into my laptop) password to math the user on server password.  However, to log into the console, I still have to use the administrator password (I don't know if this is the way its supposed to be).  Since I can only log in to the console thru administrator password, I can only log in from one computer at a time.

- For about 2 days now I have had the "Backup Service" is not working message, resulting in a "Critical" network health message.  In the 3 days that I have had this running, It was able to finish only one full backup of one of my computers.

Thanks for any help, from whoever.

Leo.

Monday, December 24, 2007 12:58 AM
  •  leowhiterussian wrote:
    Seree,
    I am not quite sure what this means, and you seem to know what you are talking about.  So I figure I'll ask you, or anyone else, lol. I have several current problems, any help would be great.

- I currently have 3 computers connected to my server,  on my laptop, it changed my login (into my laptop) password to math the user on server password.  However, to log into the console, I still have to use the administrator password (I don't know if this is the way its supposed to be).

That is correct.

leowhiterussian wrote:
    Since I can only log in to the console thru administrator password, I can only log in from one computer at a time.

No, that is only for the console (admin functions).  You use your client PC login/password for access to the network shares.

leowhiterussian wrote:
    For about 2 days now I have had the "Backup Service" is not working message, resulting in a "Critical" network health message.  In the 3 days that I have had this running, It was able to finish only one full backup of one of my computers.

Thanks for any help, from whoever.

Leo.

You can try deleting all of the backups stored and start over.  I would suggest doing the first one manually, and only through a wired connection.

Monday, December 24, 2007 1:16 AM
  • Hello Fabio - don't know if this will help, but I just had exactly your problem with accessing shared folders on my windows home server - although it had been OK for a week. Suddenly I got access denied messages when trying to open these folders with explorer from a client.

I don't know if it had anything to do with it, but for a day or so before this, I had a server health message warning me that there was an open file in my "Videos" shared folder.

I had a drive letter mapped to the same "Videos" folder (with an "unable to connect" message.

Only when I disconected this drive did I find I could again access all the shared folders. I opened the file that was reported as already open, closed it again and now even my server health icon has gone green.

Best of luck with your problem - I know how frustrating it can be!

Jon
    Wednesday, September 3, 2008 6:36 AM