Home server password problems with Windows 8 RRS feed

• Question

• I currently have a custom built WHS v1 and my main PC is a Windows 8 Pro x64 machine.

Everything works fine, with the exception that I always have to put in my Windows password when accessing my shares. Once I do, it is fine until my next reboot. Then once again I have to put in the password. In Windows 8 I can see the WHS credential is saved in the credential manager utility. I went as far as removing all user accounts from the WHS, then accessing it as the administrator and recreating my account. I am sure I have not exhausted every single scenario to test, but I have run out of ideas on what to try.

This was never an issue when my client machine was running Windows 7, so I believe it to be something specific to Windows 8. The connector software and home server console installed just fine, there are no issues there. It is simply that my folders are not accessible until I provide my windows password.

I am planning on migrating this server to a 2012 server at some point, but since that is going to be a painful manual process, I would like to at least resolve this issue for the short term.

Anyone have any ideas?

Matt Kleinwaks - MSMVP MSDN Forums Moderator - www.zerosandtheone.com

Wednesday, December 26, 2012 10:15 PM

Answers

All replies

• Marked as answer by kleinma Tuesday, August 6, 2013 4:38 PM
    Friday, July 26, 2013 2:04 AM
  • Hey Jim, I am glad you were able to find an answer to this. I actually have migrated off of WHS over the past 6 months, so I no longer have to worry about this issue. I am now running on a Windows Server 2012 Essentials installation, which provides storage spaces to give me the JBOD redundancy I need, but also allows for things that WHS could not, like 4TB drives.

Matt Kleinwaks - MSMVP MSDN Forums Moderator - www.zerosandtheone.com

Tuesday, August 6, 2013 4:38 PM