career question: NO idea!! RRS feed

• Question

• I need to change career fields, and I am considering a technology field.  I was just looking into a course on the MCTS SQL 2005, and it seemed thorough and broad.  But I have a few questions.  Generally, are bachelors degrees required for employment with that certification?  I do not have a degree, and want to be very careful to start down an educational path that will lead me to growth and job opportunities.
    Thursday, January 28, 2010 9:08 PM

Answers

• Hello,

I too suggest atleast you can go for correspondence Degree if you already working & don't have time to attend classes. Meanwhile put effort to learn SQL 2005 Once you have complete the degree you will definetly get a good opportunity you know how, since you have both, experience cum Degree. Most of CMM Level 5 companies looking for regular degree however if you have good exposure or expert in the above SQL Technologies i am sure you will get better opportunity. All the very best. Hope from today onwards your first concerntration should be completing Degree.
    Have a good year, Sachin Shetty| MCP|MCTS|MCITP| Please mark it as Answered and Vote as helpful. If you feel your question was truly answered, Thank you in advance.
    • Proposed as answer by Charley S Chandran Monday, February 1, 2010 9:25 PM
    • Marked as answer by Rubel Khan Tuesday, February 2, 2010 10:46 PM
    Sunday, January 31, 2010 7:03 PM
  • Hi,

Not sure if anyone would be able to give a straight answer to this question, but here is my opinion:

There are some employers require you to have just a degree; there are some require just certification(s); some require both and some neither. So it’s totally up to an employer.

Ideal situation would be if you can get both because one doesn’t substitute another. If you are in time constraint, go for the certification and look for an employer who doesn’t care about degree. If you take this route, I would still ask you go for the degree in the long run because this will become obstacle one way or another.

Good luck. Hope this somewhat answers your question and helpful.

Rubel Khan - MY BLOG!
    If your question was truly answered, please mark it as Answered and Vote as helpful. Thank you in advance.
    Friday, January 29, 2010 1:29 AM
  • 123ynnej,

MS certifications only verify (or at least they should) your knowledge of MS product(s).
    In most cases they are not required for employment in the IT field.

Depending on the role, a degree is usually required, but sometimes you can get your first job with a diploma.

If I was hiring someone to do a database design, I would like to see a CS or Engineering degree plus a vendor certification.

Again, it all depends who is doing the hiring, but generally speaking some sort of degree will get you further.

Peter
    Software Engineer/Architect
    peter.moss@ieee.org
    http://www.petermoss.com
    Friday, January 29, 2010 1:34 AM
  • HI 123ynnej ,

Most of the Big /Good  companies wants Bachelors Degrees for this type of positions (+ additional your subject Certification). I have seen In INDIA and Other JOB Portal(not belongs to India) for development project / support project they want Bachelors Degrees. My first suggestion if you want to work for a Good company or Good Project, Degree must required. My first suggestion if you want for a good career path in IT industry try to achieve Bachelors Degrees first. Then you you can choose SQL Server as your expertise subject and read and go deep through the subject then try to Become MCTS or MCITP Certified.

My point of view both are required to achieve a good career path.

Thank You
    • Proposed as answer by TapanPattanaik Sunday, January 31, 2010 10:16 AM
    Sunday, January 31, 2010 10:15 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Not sure if anyone would be able to give a straight answer to this question, but here is my opinion:

There are some employers require you to have just a degree; there are some require just certification(s); some require both and some neither. So it’s totally up to an employer.

Ideal situation would be if you can get both because one doesn’t substitute another. If you are in time constraint, go for the certification and look for an employer who doesn’t care about degree. If you take this route, I would still ask you go for the degree in the long run because this will become obstacle one way or another.

Good luck. Hope this somewhat answers your question and helpful.

Rubel Khan - MY BLOG!
    If your question was truly answered, please mark it as Answered and Vote as helpful. Thank you in advance.
    Friday, January 29, 2010 1:29 AM
  • 123ynnej,

MS certifications only verify (or at least they should) your knowledge of MS product(s).
    In most cases they are not required for employment in the IT field.

Depending on the role, a degree is usually required, but sometimes you can get your first job with a diploma.

If I was hiring someone to do a database design, I would like to see a CS or Engineering degree plus a vendor certification.

Again, it all depends who is doing the hiring, but generally speaking some sort of degree will get you further.

Peter
    Software Engineer/Architect
    peter.moss@ieee.org
    http://www.petermoss.com
    Friday, January 29, 2010 1:34 AM
  • HI 123ynnej ,

Most of the Big /Good  companies wants Bachelors Degrees for this type of positions (+ additional your subject Certification). I have seen In INDIA and Other JOB Portal(not belongs to India) for development project / support project they want Bachelors Degrees. My first suggestion if you want to work for a Good company or Good Project, Degree must required. My first suggestion if you want for a good career path in IT industry try to achieve Bachelors Degrees first. Then you you can choose SQL Server as your expertise subject and read and go deep through the subject then try to Become MCTS or MCITP Certified.

My point of view both are required to achieve a good career path.

Thank You
    • Proposed as answer by TapanPattanaik Sunday, January 31, 2010 10:16 AM
    Sunday, January 31, 2010 10:15 AM
  • Hello,

I too suggest atleast you can go for correspondence Degree if you already working & don't have time to attend classes. Meanwhile put effort to learn SQL 2005 Once you have complete the degree you will definetly get a good opportunity you know how, since you have both, experience cum Degree. Most of CMM Level 5 companies looking for regular degree however if you have good exposure or expert in the above SQL Technologies i am sure you will get better opportunity. All the very best. Hope from today onwards your first concerntration should be completing Degree.
    Have a good year, Sachin Shetty| MCP|MCTS|MCITP| Please mark it as Answered and Vote as helpful. If you feel your question was truly answered, Thank you in advance.
    • Proposed as answer by Charley S Chandran Monday, February 1, 2010 9:25 PM
    Sunday, January 31, 2010 7:03 PM