Am I Being Paranoid? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello all!

After much frustration with a few other products, I'm coming back to OneCare for my 64 bit rig.  Here's my concern:

I did a rebuild of my PC last night, and installed OneCare - Everything's working great.  While I'm working with Virtual PC (just setting up a "test bed" Vista environment), my machine hangs completely.  I finally turn off the power, start back up, and Firefox's settings are completely reset (including my add ons for NoScript and Adblock).

While I *think* the hang was due to having hardware assisted virtualization on (more info than needed probably, but oh well), I'm a little concerned about what happened to Firefox.  I uninstalled and reinstalled the app as well as ran a full scan with OneCare (no issues found), but I wonder if I should just do another rebuild on the box from the PC image I have to be safe.

Or... Am I just being paranoid (wasn't visiting any web sites at all actually at the time, and No UAC pop-ups asking for admin privs)?  Is there anything else I could do via OneCare to make sure my machine is OK (that would be worthwhile doing)?

Wednesday, August 13, 2008 12:23 PM

Answers

• I think perhaps it might be paranoia. :-)

I am quite sure that OneCare won't touch Firefox settings. I suspect that the hard lock-up and power down caused your Firefox issue. Powering off a hung PC can cause all kinds of strange things up to an including a corrupt boot sector.

-steve

Wednesday, August 13, 2008 4:04 PM

All replies

• I think perhaps it might be paranoia. :-)

I am quite sure that OneCare won't touch Firefox settings. I suspect that the hard lock-up and power down caused your Firefox issue. Powering off a hung PC can cause all kinds of strange things up to an including a corrupt boot sector.

-steve

Wednesday, August 13, 2008 4:04 PM
  • I figured it was paranoia, haha.  In any event, for the sake of two hours I just reimaged the box and all is well.  OneCare is running great.  Thanks!

Thursday, August 14, 2008 3:59 PM
  • You're welcome. :-) Well, re-imaging the box will certainly remove any possibility of a problem...

-steve

Thursday, August 14, 2008 5:15 PM
  • On a similar note, my PC, running XP home SP3 crashed completely.  Prior to the crash, I had not been running OneCare.  In the process of rebuilding and not really wanting to re-install Norton, I came across OneCare.  Gave it a shot.  It loaded fine and was running.  After re-loading my system, I had bunches of OS updates to load (still looking for any good solid software package to build an image).  During the updating, I noticed the PC would periodically freeze.  I had to do a power off/hardware shutdown.  After about 5 or 6 of these, I figured maybe I needed to at least get to SP2 to correct the problem.  Well, I'm now up to SP3 and I still have the problem.  Thought maybe OneCare had a problem with ZoneAlarm so I shut that down.  Nope, still freezes from time to time.  This morning, I asked OneCare to check for updates, it found none.  I bit the bullet and uninstalled OneCare this morning.  Haven't locked up yet.  I repeat 'yet' because sometimes it takes awhile for the beast to show itself.  I'm hoping it's not OneCare in that it seems like a nice product but yet, if it is not, I'm stuck with a tough problem.  Has anyone else had a problem of a PC locking up?  This is a single home PC hooked to nothing but the internet.
    Wednesday, August 27, 2008 2:59 PM
  • You cannot run multiple security programs in that way.  Having just remaining traces of Multiple firewalls or Multiple AntiVirus applications installed can be a recipe for disaster.  Simply shutting one down, or perhaps even just a Control Panel>Add/Remove to uninstall, may be insufficient to prevent contention. since they are installed at very low system levels.

ZoneAlarm uninstall:

http://forums.zonealarm.com/zonelabs/board/message?board.id=AllowAccess&message.id=103

Norton uninstall:

http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/tsgeninfo.nsf/docid/2005033108162039

OneCare uninstall/cleanup:
    http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=828910&SiteID=2

Wednesday, August 27, 2008 5:06 PM
  • OK.  The deed is done.  Zone Alarm is out and OneCare is in.  I'll keep my fingers crossed I don't freeze up again.  Thanks to everyone for the help. 
    Wednesday, August 27, 2008 9:20 PM
  • Just to close the loop on this, my freezing issue was not due to OneCare, but a conflict between Virtual PC and my motherboard - I was using Hardware-assisted virtualization, which my hardware didn't like apparently

Once that was fixed, no slowdowns at all.

Thursday, August 28, 2008 2:42 PM
  • So far so good.  I've been running with OneCare now for almost 24 hours and no freeze ups.  I never was able to run that long before.  Thanks again for all the help and suggestions.
    Thursday, August 28, 2008 2:48 PM
  • Excellent.  Please let the forum know if any further problems develop, although I think the key to your success was starting with a very clean platform to begin with.  This is why the caution is also given to initially install OneCare and other security applications on a virus and malware free platform, which is a good reason to use the OneCare Safety Scanner:

http://onecare.live.com/site/en-us/default.htm

Thursday, August 28, 2008 3:40 PM