problems installing whs RRS feed

• Question

• Bought new computer from Office Max (hp pavilion pc- p6320f; amd phenom II X4 820, 8 GB RAM, 1 TB HD; 64 bit OS). It came with Windows 7 Home Premium. Bought it so that I could install Vail. Installed Vail and got it running but came to learn that Vail does not support Add-ins at present. Was particularly interested in the WHS Outlook Add-In. Therefore, decided to abandon Vail and use WHS v1.

I purchased an OEM version of WHS w/power pack 1 from Amazon. Put the installation disk in and installed it. It went through the file loading steps, formatting steps and then went to the "installing windows" phase. It starts off with "Windows Setup" displayed in the left upper aspect of the monitor then states loading drivers, ... press F2 for ASR, ... loading files, ... starting Windows then i a few msecs it gives me a blue screen stating" a problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.  Check fo viruses; remove any newly installed hardrives or hard drive controllers. Check your hard drive to make sure it is properly configured and terminated. Run chkdsk/F to check for hard drive corruption and then restarart your computer.

Tech. info: *** stop: 0 x 000000b (0xF89EA94, 0XC000000034,  0X00000000, 0x000000000)"

I thought maybe it was a software issue, so I downloaded the current 30 day demo of WHS w/PP3 on the MS website, burned it to a DVD and installed that with the same results. Again it seems to go through all the steps and then when it is rebooting to open the WHS operating system it does this. I also took out the installation DVD and let it boot and again this is what happens.

I don't know how to do a chkdsk as I don't have an OS or a command prompt to enter that.

Please advise. Thanks.

Saturday, July 10, 2010 4:02 PM

Answers

• Kariya21,

Thanks for your help. I am going to stick with IDE for now, worry about adding storage later and hope that Vail makes it easier for me down the road.

• Marked as answer by dlazenby Sunday, July 11, 2010 2:50 PM
    Sunday, July 11, 2010 2:33 PM

All replies

• Bought new computer from Office Max (hp pavilion pc- p6320f; amd phenom II X4 820, 8 GB RAM, 1 TB HD; 64 bit OS). It came with Windows 7 Home Premium. Bought it so that I could install Vail. Installed Vail and got it running but came to learn that Vail does not support Add-ins at present. Was particularly interested in the WHS Outlook Add-In. Therefore, decided to abandon Vail and use WHS v1.

I purchased an OEM version of WHS w/power pack 1 from Amazon. Put the installation disk in and installed it. It went through the file loading steps, formatting steps and then went to the "installing windows" phase. It starts off with "Windows Setup" displayed in the left upper aspect of the monitor then states loading drivers, ... press F2 for ASR, ... loading files, ... starting Windows then i a few msecs it gives me a blue screen stating" a problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.  Check fo viruses; remove any newly installed hardrives or hard drive controllers. Check your hard drive to make sure it is properly configured and terminated. Run chkdsk/F to check for hard drive corruption and then restarart your computer.

Tech. info: *** stop: 0 x 000000b (0xF89EA94, 0XC000000034,  0X00000000, 0x000000000)"

I thought maybe it was a software issue, so I downloaded the current 30 day demo of WHS w/PP3 on the MS website, burned it to a DVD and installed that with the same results. Again it seems to go through all the steps and then when it is rebooting to open the WHS operating system it does this. I also took out the installation DVD and let it boot and again this is what happens.

I don't know how to do a chkdsk as I don't have an OS or a command prompt to enter that.

Please advise. Thanks. 

I assume you're missing a 7 in your error code (it's probably 0000007b).  If so, it's because v1 doesn't have drivers for SATA drives so you have to either A) install the drivers manually or B) go into the BIOS and change your SATA ports to IDE/Legacy mode (or some similar wording).
    Saturday, July 10, 2010 4:27 PM
  •  On 7/10/2010 11:02 AM, dlazenby wrote:

stop: 0 x 000000b

Hello dlazenby,

The STOP error that you're getting means that some driver didn't load properly.  If you have anything connected to the computer besides a keyboard, mouse, and monitor, you could try removing them and rebooting.  Also, I would try pressing the F8 key from the second you turn the computer on until you get a menu, then choose "Safe Mode with Networking".  If you're able to boot up to a Windows desktop (using Administrator and the password you created for Windows Home Server), I would get any available Windows Updates and any driver updates for your computer (HP doesn't have any drivers available for Windows Server 2003 or Windows XP for your computer according to http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareCategory?os=4062&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&sw_lang=&product=4120149#N1265 so you may have to get the drivers through Windows Update).   Here is a shortened version of that link, since it may not appear properly http://tinyurl.com/2f53wpa
      You can also find the drivers and download them on the computer you're on, and put them on an USB thumb drive.  Then install them from safe mode (if the computer boots up).  Another option is to open Device Manager (Right click on "Computer" in the Start Menu, and choose Properties, then click the Hardware Tab on the box that opens, and click Device Manager) and look for "Other Devices" or anything else with a yellow ! mark for the icon.  Then choose "Update Drivers" and allow it to check Windows Update as well as any USB thumb drives you may have connected.

I'm not a hardware issue expert, so if someone else posts other information, you will probably want to consider theirs first and if they contradict anything I've recommended, take their advice.

Hope this helps, and have a great day:)
    Patrick.

Smile... Someone out there cares deeply for you.
    Have you updated today?
    http://update.microsoft.com

Smile.. Someone out there cares deeply for you.
    Saturday, July 10, 2010 4:51 PM
  • Thanks much. That seems to have been the problem.

So after I get it up and running I should just download and install the appropriate SATA driver and then go back and change my BIOS back right?

Saturday, July 10, 2010 4:57 PM
  • Thanks much. That seems to have been the problem.

So after I get it up and running I should just download and install the appropriate SATA driver and then go back and change my BIOS back right? 

You should leave it in whatever mode you use when you install the OS.  For simplicity (especially for reinstallation should it ever become necessary), you should switch the SATA ports to IDE/Legacy mode and leave it there.
    Saturday, July 10, 2010 5:27 PM
  • Kariya 21,

So if I keep my BIOS w/IDE settings will that affect performance/system speed?

If I need to add eSATA drives and add a PCI SATA controller is that going to be a problem?

Should I reinstall WHS and when it asks for drivers, load the driver(s) via a USB flash drive? This would not be a big problem as I am obviously in the installation phase.

Thanks again.

Saturday, July 10, 2010 5:42 PM
  • Kariya 21,

So if I keep my BIOS w/IDE settings will that affect performance/system speed? 

In theory, yes.  In reality, probably not (you'll face other bottlenecks - such as network speeds - before the speed difference of PATA/SATA drives becomes an issue).

If I need to add eSATA drives and add a PCI SATA controller is that going to be a problem?

Anything that involves SATA drives can make a recovery situation more difficult/challenging.  Throwing in a PCI SATA controller on top of that could be a real challenge.  If you really decide to go that route, my suggestion would be to set up your server the way you want it (including all of the drives you want to be part of the storage pool), then go through the Server Reinstallation process (by treating the primary drive as a failed drive; just remove it and replace it with a blank drive).  That will give you an idea of what you'll be up against (should it ever become necessary).

Should I reinstall WHS and when it asks for drivers, load the driver(s) via a USB flash drive? This would not be a big problem as I am obviously in the installation phase.

Thanks again.

It's up to you whether you want to reinstall or not, but be aware that in order to supply drivers during the text portion of the setup (the part after the first reboot), it requires a floppy drive (flash drives normally don't work).
    Saturday, July 10, 2010 8:16 PM
  • Kariya 21,

This computer doesn't have a floppy drive. It's been several years and many computers since I have used a floppy drive. I can buy an external floppy drive (that is connected via an USB port) from floppydisk.com. Would this work or would I have to open up my machine and get the standard floppy drive and connect it to the motherboard?

Thanks much. 

Saturday, July 10, 2010 8:35 PM
  • Kariya 21,

This computer doesn't have a floppy drive. It's been several years and many computers since I have used a floppy drive. I can buy an external floppy drive (that is connected via an USB port) from floppydisk.com. Would this work or would I have to open up my machine and get the standard floppy drive and connect it to the motherboard?

Thanks much. 

I used an internal one on my server so I don't know if a USB floppy would work or not (my guess is it would be dependent on whether the mobo supports it, but I don't know that for certain).  In any event, I think you now see why IDE/Legacy mode is the way to go.  :)
    Saturday, July 10, 2010 9:26 PM
  • Kariya21,

Thanks for your help. I am going to stick with IDE for now, worry about adding storage later and hope that Vail makes it easier for me down the road.

• Marked as answer by dlazenby Sunday, July 11, 2010 2:50 PM
    Sunday, July 11, 2010 2:33 PM
  • Kariya21,

Vail recognizes SATA drives (since it's written on top of Server 2008 R2, a new OS).  v1 doesn't recognize SATA drives because it's underlying OS (Server 2003) is 7 years old and SATA drives weren't the "norm" back then.
    Sunday, July 11, 2010 5:43 PM