Can't Restore files from External HD RRS feed

• Question

• I recently replaced my main HD.  After Installing all nessessary software I tried to retore my files from "My World Book" WD network drive.  Onecare asks for a Username and Password when I add a network location.  I don't have the correct password.  It will not allow me to access these files.  I can access tham through "My Computer" just not with Onecare.

I've tried every possible password.

Thanks for any help.

Corey

Wednesday, August 6, 2008 12:01 AM

Answers

• When you backed up from OneCare, was the drive configured as a Network Shared location? If so, configure backup to point to that same location now that you have reinstalled OneCare. Perform a small backup (select a file type that doesn't result in too many files being backed up.) Once you've done the backup, try the restore from another PC option and point to the Share.

If this does not resolve the problem, please contact support:

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

-steve

Wednesday, August 6, 2008 5:48 PM

All replies

• When you backed up from OneCare, was the drive configured as a Network Shared location? If so, configure backup to point to that same location now that you have reinstalled OneCare. Perform a small backup (select a file type that doesn't result in too many files being backed up.) Once you've done the backup, try the restore from another PC option and point to the Share.

If this does not resolve the problem, please contact support:

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

-steve

Wednesday, August 6, 2008 5:48 PM
  • Thanks Steve.

I'm not sure how the drive was configured.  It's a WD network drive that requires their "MioNet" software to access it.  I have 2 computers: A desktop that's wired and a laptop that's wrieless.  After I installed MioNet on my laptop I was able to access the drive wirelessly.  I guess that means it's "shared".  What do you mean when say "restore from another PC option and point to the Share." 

Thanks again,

Corey

Wednesday, August 6, 2008 11:30 PM
  • When you use a network attached storage device for backup, it must have a folder (or the entire drive) designated as a Network Share in Windows Explorer and you would point backup to that Network location (path) for backup. To now restore from that same location, you need to configure backup to do the same thing and set it up to use that Network location. Once you've completed a small backup, you should be able to use Restore in OneCare to perform a custom restore.

This is from OneCare Instant Help on the restore from another computer topic:

Restore files that were backed up from another computer.

1. Click Restore files from backup of another machine.
      2. Click the backup that you want to restore files from.

Follow the wizard to tell OneCare where this backup is located and select the backup you wish to restore - not the new small one you just created.

-steve

Thursday, August 7, 2008 5:25 PM