none
Remote access never worked WHS2003 RRS feed

• Question

• I have a DSL modem and a Dlink DIR-655 router. When I enable remote access, it fails on the last step when it tired to connect to the server. I signed up for the free DNS account.  During the configuration it ID the DSL address.  When I try to connect to the DNS account, instead of going to the server it opens up the DSL configuration page. Before it connected, I got the security certificate error message.  Called the DSL provider and he said everything at his end was working fine.  He said for this to work, that I needed a static IP address. 

After it did the router configuration under UPnP, I didn't see where it made any changes to the router settings.  I did a manual Port forwarding with ports 80, 443 and 4125 set to the IP address of the HP Server 192.168.0.104.  Still failed after trying to enable remote access. 

I read all the post, but so far nothing is working.  Any one have any suggestions, other then paying $20 a month extra, for a static IP address?

Thursday, January 20, 2011 6:07 PM

All replies

• I've always had a few steps if not all of the steps of the DyDNS provided in WHS fail to connect to back to my WHS.  However, this doesn't mean that the portion actually failed.  I can remote desktop to it using the servername.homeserver.com address or even the IP assigned by the ISP (Dynamically Assigned IP).  Remote access being Remote Desktop or the Console?  I believe the port 4125 is the console, and you will need to add the Remote desktop port to the exception list as well or change its responding capabilities.  You will need to change the remote desktop setting in the Windows Firewall to allow connections from outside your network if you are attempting to connect outside your network.  I've always had to make this change to get Remote Desktop to work outside of my network.  The Console however will not connect from outside your network only if you are using the web interface will it connect.
    Thursday, March 17, 2011 3:01 PM
  • install windows live mesh on the server and add it to your device list.  then install windows live mesh on the client machine you want to use.  i've used this to access server no problem.  if you are using high def resolution monitor on client machine, or dual monitor, it may cause a resultion issue though.

good luck

Friday, March 18, 2011 1:54 AM