CRM Tracking email RRS feed

• Question

• hi all,

i have created a campaign to customers via mails according to their mail id's,

and some customers have responded(what ever may be the intrest),

now the responded customers mails are in my outlook and i want them to track in my crm.there is a manual approach of TRACK IN CRM button in outlook to track emails onto the crm.

but i need a automated approach of tracking it.

help me

Thanks & Regards Vijender Reddy
    • Edited by Vijji MSL Friday, August 27, 2010 12:26 PM
    Thursday, August 26, 2010 2:52 PM

Answers

• hi carsten,

the incoming/outgoing set to router and tested the router config .. its shows successful

but mails are not sent from crm to customers... this is really good joke to laugh.

later i tested the same settings its shown failed to connect router

when i restarted the system and given the same settings its successfull now im able to track crm mails automatically.

any how thanks guys

• Marked as answer by Vijji MSL Friday, August 27, 2010 12:23 PM
    Friday, August 27, 2010 12:20 PM

All replies

• Hi,

There are at least two ways the email tracking can be set up. Do you use the Email Router or just Outlook? The automatic tracking with Email Router is quite different than in Outlook. However, I assume you are talking about tracking in Outlook. Have you checked the Check incoming e-mail in Outlook and determine whether an e-mail should be linked and saved as a Microsoft Dynamics CRM record setting in your Outlook client? What is the interval when emails are checked?

There is a great Neil's post about the tracking here: https://community.dynamics.com/forums/p/17427/27838.aspx

I hope that helps,

Kuba

-- Kuba Skałbania, Netwise
    Thursday, August 26, 2010 5:26 PM
  • Just go to Settings - Systemmanagement - SystemSettings and take a deep look on tab "Marketing". Take a look at your setting for autom. campaign responses...
    Gruß Carsten Groth http://carstengroth.spaces.live.com
    Friday, August 27, 2010 9:32 AM
  • @carsten

thanks dude.

in settings->administration->system settings->marketing...

there is no option so called automatic campaign responses

plz have a look at this....

http://vijender.files.wordpress.com/2010/08/marketing.jpg

Thanks & Regards Vijender Reddy
    Friday, August 27, 2010 10:10 AM
  • autom. campaign responses --> 2nd option on your image. So your emails should be tracked. Have you checked Personal Settings/Options?

Gruß Carsten Groth http://carstengroth.spaces.live.com

Friday, August 27, 2010 11:09 AM
  • hi carsten,

the incoming/outgoing set to router and tested the router config .. its shows successful

but mails are not sent from crm to customers... this is really good joke to laugh.

later i tested the same settings its shown failed to connect router

when i restarted the system and given the same settings its successfull now im able to track crm mails automatically.

any how thanks guys

• Marked as answer by Vijji MSL Friday, August 27, 2010 12:23 PM
    Friday, August 27, 2010 12:20 PM
  • Hello Kuba,

I have the same issue, the campaign response logs in CRM, appears in outlokk, but it doesn´t show the CRM ICON, so this mean that it has not been tracked.

The settings I have done are

1.I have checked:

- CRM Outlook options/Email tab/:
       1. The correct user y the current password.
       2. THe option: Track the email in response of CRM.
    - CRM Server. Settings/System Settings
       1. Marketing tab:  Automatic response: Yes
       2. Email tab: Promote incoming email every: 15 minutes.
       2. Email tab: Use tracking token: Yes.
    - CRM Server. Settings/User
       1. Incoming mail of User: EMAIL ROUTER
       2. Outgoing mail of User: EMAIL ROUTER

2. Outlokk has all rollups until: 15 rollup
    3. I have checked the email router configuration, and test it: All users incoming setting is OK, as well outgoing setting.
    4. I have tracked the mail manually, and works OK, but I need to have this automatically. As the feature is this way.

What can I do to show the emails in the outlook that are tracked in CRM 4.0, with the CRM ICON?

thanks Kuba!!

Roxana Cevallos Q Microsoft CRM 4.0
    Tuesday, June 28, 2011 4:20 PM
  • Hi people,

Check this:

The solution was the following:

a. On the Microsoft Dynamics CRM server, click Start , click Run , type regedit in the Open box, and then click OK .
    b. Locate and then click the following registry subkey:
              HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\MSCRM
    c. On the Edit menu, point to New , and then click DWORD Value .
    d. Type DisableSmartMatching , and then press ENTER.
    e. Right-click DisableSmartMatching , and then click Modify .
    f. In the Value data box, type 1 , and then click OK .
    g. On the File menu, click Exit .

h. On the Microsoft Dynamics CRM client for Outlook, click Start , click Run , type regedit in the Open box, and then click OK .
    i. Locate and then click the following registry subkey:
             HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\MSCRMClient
    j. Repeat step 1c through step 1i.

k. Restart the client machine.

Why doing these steps?:

Older  CRMs versions needed  to define a token to track the mails, but CRM 4.0 has a new feature called "Smart Matching", with wich CRM identifies the mails that can be tracked.  Unfortunately sometimes this feature doesn´t allow  the tracking of all mails, and with the DisableSmartMatching KEY, we are making the "SmartMatching" disable, in order to have all received emails the opction 'Tracking in CRM'

Also check:

- The Outlook CRM client should have maximum 3500.

- The default INBOX should be the principal, I mean the one that comes with Outlook, because in this INBOX the CRM tracking will work.

I hope this helps to other people.

Roxana Cevallos Q. Microsoft CRM 4.0
    Thursday, July 14, 2011 2:08 PM
  • I coul not edit my reply of July 14, Now I add the specific steps:

1.      Install:  Securities updates, service packs Windows, Office and Internet Explorer in all  Outlook CRM machines

2.      Backup the CRM databases.

3.      Install the TOOL, following these steps:

1.In Microsoft SQL Server, create a backup of: OrgName_MSCRM.

Note:  OK

2. To know how many records will be updated with the procedure:

Management Studio:

select count (*) from email where trackingtoken is NULL

Note:  OK

ResultSet: xxxx

3. Extract the tool in a directory of CRM SERVER. Example, extract the tool in  C:\KB969946.

Note: The tool needs the file EmailTrackingTokenExtractor.dll to execute correctly. Make sure that the file is in the same directory as the file EmailTrackingTokenExtractorTool.exe.

Note:  When the tool was extracted  (2 clicks) we got the following file: CRMv4.0-KB969946-amd64-Server-ENU and a text file. There was no dll.  The dll appeared after having been extracted by command step 6 (below).

4.  If CRM 4.0 is installed in another server tan SQL

-          Extract the tool in a directory in SQL Server, with the same directory name used in the step 3.

Example, extract the tool in the directory C:\KB969946 of Microsoft SQL Server.

Note: OK.

The BD Server has 32 bits- OS, by the way the directory was put in the directory: C:\KB969946

5.  In the Microsoft Dynamics CRM 4.0 (Web Server), open COMMAND PROMPT and change the directory to the path of step 3 Example: >cd C:\KB969946 .

6.  Write Microsoft.Crm.Se.EmailTrackingTokenExtractorTool.exe OrgName to execute the tool.

Note: In the Prompt write (hit many tabs):

C:/ KB969946>CRMv4.0-KB969946-amd64-Server-ENU.exe OrganizationName. This generates 2 files in the directory:

microsoft.crm.se.emailtrackingtokenextractor.dll and microsoft.crm.se.emailtrackingtokenextractortool.exe

In the Command Prompt, we executed:

ü  C:/ KB969946> microsoft.crm.se.emailtrackingtokenextractortool.exe OraganizationName

We got the message “Enable CRL”: 

ü  IN SQL 2005 server, we enable the CLR:

sp_configure 'clr enabled', 1

go

reconfigure

go

In  the command prompt we executed again:

ü  C:/ KB969946> microsoft.crm.se.emailtrackingtokenextractortool.exe OrganizationName

The execution was successful

7.  Execute the query again:  select count (*) from email where trackingtoken is NULL

Note:  OK.  The resultset was:  xxx rows

4.      Instalar HOTFIX

Link. http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;958084

Follow the steps this way:

1.      Install this hotfix on computers that are running the Microsoft Dynamics CRM 4.0 server components or the Microsoft Dynamics CRM client for Microsoft Office Outlook components.

Note:  Only install in the CRM Server.In the other components such as: SRSC CRM, Outlook CRM, cannot be install because you get the message: “CRM Server not found”

2.      Run the tool that is described in the following Knowledge Base article:

969946  (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/969946/ ) A tool that is used to extract the tracking token from the e-mail subject and update the tracking token column of the e-mail table is available for Microsoft.

Note:  OK. After extracting the Hotfix: 376581_ESN_X64_ZIP, You get:

CRMv4.0-KB958084-amd64-Server-ESN. In the Web Server:  Double click CRMv4.0-KB958084-amd64-Server-ESN  

3.      A. On the Microsoft Dynamics CRM server, click Start, click Run, type regedit in the Open box, and then click OK.

4.      B. Locate and then click the following registry subkey: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\MSCRM

5.      C. On the Edit menu, point to New, and then click DWORD Value.

6.      D. Type DisableSmartMatching, and then press ENTER.

7.      E. Right-click DisableSmartMatching, and then click Modify.

8.      F. In the Value data box, type 1, and then click OK.

9.      G. On the File menu, click Exit.

10.  H. On the Microsoft Dynamics CRM client for Outlook, click Start, click Run, type regedit in the Open box, and then click OK.

11.  I. Locate and then click the following registry subkey: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\MSCRMClient

12.  J. Repeat step 1c through step 1i.

5. Restart the servers where the tools were applied.

6. We had the issue, that my client saw some mails withe the same tracking token, I gave the following explanation:

Duplicate tracking token occurs when you send lots of e-mail messages in Microsoft Dynamics CRM

SYMPTOMS

When CRM users send lots of e-mail messages, the tracking token is duplicated.

For example, this problem occurs when they send 20,000 e-mail messages. The number of CRM users is 25.

The settings for the tracking token are not changed as follows:

Number of digits for users: 3

Number of digits for incremental counter: 4

CAUSE

This problem occurs because the counter (the "Number of digits for incremental counter" setting) will cycle back when it reaches the highest value.

The structure of the tracking token is as follows: CRM: 00010001

The first numeric digit signifies whether the user was online or offline when he or she sent the message.

The second to fourth digits signify the CRM user who sent the messages.

The last four digits signify the counter for the message.

If a user sends 20,000 e-mail messages, he or she will definitely have duplicate tracking tokens because the number of digits for the incremental counter is only up to 9,999.

WORKAROUND

To word around this problem, increase the "Number of digits for incremental counter" setting to at least 7.

MORE INFORMATION

Basically, use the following list to set the number of digits for the users:

If you have 0-9 CRM users: The number of digits should be 1

If you have 10-99 CRM users: The number of digits should be 2

If you have 100-999 CRM users: The number of digits should be 3

If you have 1000-9999 CRM users: The number of digits should be 4

Note The value that you specify directly depends on the number of CRM users you have.

The following list indicates the number of digits for incremental counter:

If you have a value of 1: Duplicate tracking tokens will start appearing after each user sends 9 e-mail messages

If you have a value of 2: Duplicate tracking tokens will start appearing after each user sends 99 e-mail messages

If you have a value of 3: Duplicate tracking tokens will start appearing after each user sends 999 e-mail messages

If you have a value of 4: Duplicate tracking tokens will start appearing after each user sends 9999 e-mail messages

Note The larger the value that you specify, the less likely you will see duplicate tracking tokens.

To configure the length of the token:

1. In CRM go to settings/System Settings/Mail Tab, change the to:

ü  Use (tracking token) : Checked

ü  Prefix: CRM

ü  Number  of digits for user: 2

ü  Number  of digits for incremental counter : 7 (9999999)

With all these steps I could close successfully the case with my client :)

Regards!

Roxana Cevallos Q. Microsoft CRM 4.0
    Monday, August 22, 2011 11:46 PM