Whay are all Vista mapped drives full? RRS feed

• Question

• I just installed a new client on my network, running Vista 64 Ultimate.  When I map a network drive to a share on my WHS, it shows the drive as full and will not let me copy data to it.  Anyone know how to fix this?  The XP computer on my network has been happily using a mapped drive on the server since I built the WHS (Just after RTM went on sale).

Thanks in advance for any help.

Merrill
    Monday, March 9, 2009 1:49 AM

Answers

• Please make sure that you have fully updated your server, by using the Update Now... button in the Windows Home Server console repeatedly until no additional updates are found.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Proposed as answer by kariya21Moderator Monday, March 9, 2009 3:16 AM
    • Marked as answer by mpcrna Monday, March 9, 2009 10:59 PM
    Monday, March 9, 2009 1:51 AM
  • Hi Merrill,
    it's simply a cosmetic bug introduced with KB 957825, which tricked Vista to see all free space on the storage pool instead of only the free space on D: drive in your home server before starting a copy operation. Unfortunately mapped drives show the D: drive size still as total space, so the used space on the total storage pool will usually be larger than that amount. So while it looks not nice, it is a known issue.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Monday, March 9, 2009 9:29 PM

All replies

• Please make sure that you have fully updated your server, by using the Update Now... button in the Windows Home Server console repeatedly until no additional updates are found.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Proposed as answer by kariya21Moderator Monday, March 9, 2009 3:16 AM
    • Marked as answer by mpcrna Monday, March 9, 2009 10:59 PM
    Monday, March 9, 2009 1:51 AM
  • Ken, thanks for your prompt answer.  I did as you suggest, and, even though the server is set to automatically update, it found a couple of uninstalled ones - including a 230 MB update of dotnet 3.5.  THAT took some time to download and install over my crappy 500 kbit/sec connection.  Anyway, the server now claims there are no more updates, but the problem persists.

I tried mapping a drive on the server from a laptop that is running 32 bit Vista Ultimate, and it does the same thing.

When I look at the drive in the "computer" applet, the drive is listed, with a red bar indicating it is full and the text underneath it says "847 GB free of 445 GB".  If I display the drive's properties, it says "Used Space:  working... 969491968"  and  "Free space 910,087,036,928 bytes   847 GB" and "Capacity: 478,620,815,360 bytes  445 GB".  Thsi makes no sense to me, because it looks like it is saying the drive is full, but has 847 GB of free space, even though it's capacity is only 445 GB!?

Meanwhile, the Win XP client will happily map and use whatever drives I want.  VERY perplexing.

Merrill
    Monday, March 9, 2009 9:24 PM
  • Hi Merrill,
    it's simply a cosmetic bug introduced with KB 957825, which tricked Vista to see all free space on the storage pool instead of only the free space on D: drive in your home server before starting a copy operation. Unfortunately mapped drives show the D: drive size still as total space, so the used space on the total storage pool will usually be larger than that amount. So while it looks not nice, it is a known issue.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Monday, March 9, 2009 9:29 PM
  • Ken, Olaf , thanks very much for your help.  I think Ken's answer fixed the problem of the drive not allowing data to be copied to it, but I focused on the goofy numbers in the drive propertieds and didn't test the file copy until Olaf mentioned that the numbers are an artifact of the update.  Anyway, it now works as it should.

Thanks again to both of you.

Merrill
    Monday, March 9, 2009 11:03 PM
  • I noticed Vista is also showing the red bar inside Windows Exploer of mapped WHS drives. THe odd thing is, we can save files to teh drives except for Photoshop PSD files. Saving JPG's from Photoshop works but not PSD files. We have installed all updates except for IE8 and still cannot save PSD's to WHS. Has anyone found a solution for this? Photoshop is reporting a disc full error. So frustrating.
    Friday, May 1, 2009 8:51 PM
  • I noticed Vista is also showing the red bar inside Windows Exploer of mapped WHS drives. THe odd thing is, we can save files to teh drives except for Photoshop PSD files. Saving JPG's from Photoshop works but not PSD files. We have installed all updates except for IE8 and still cannot save PSD's to WHS. Has anyone found a solution for this? Photoshop is reporting a disc full error. So frustrating.
    That's probably because of the way WHS "tricks" the clients (and apps) into how much free space is available on the server.  No doubt PS doesn't believe the info (because, after all, how can there be more free space than total space?).  So it just gives a disc full error.  You can file a bug report on Connect, however, since it's a third-party app, I don't know that it will change much.
    Saturday, May 2, 2009 4:11 AM

When is Microsoft going to fix this "cosmetic" bug?  It's a major pain.  Many applications won't write to the shares because the free space is bigger that the capacity.

This is just plain sloppy - the amount of storage free should always be less than the total capcity.  it really sucks that they can't manage to fix this in a more timely manner.
    Thursday, May 14, 2009 1:23 AM

• When is Microsoft going to fix this "cosmetic" bug?  It's a major pain.  Many applications won't write to the shares because the free space is bigger that the capacity.

This is just plain sloppy - the amount of storage free should always be less than the total capcity.  it really sucks that they can't manage to fix this in a more timely manner.

Frankly, I don't think they will ever change it.  My guess is they are unable to "trick" WHS into providing the total space available (otherwise they would have done it by now).  Perhaps because the total space is hard-coded in the hard drives somewhere and they can't get around that (just speculation on my part though).

Just out of curiosity, which apps are you using that don't work properly?  I haven't seen one yet that doesn't work.
    Thursday, May 14, 2009 1:30 AM
  • When is Microsoft going to fix this "cosmetic" bug?  It's a major pain.  Many applications won't write to the shares because the free space is bigger that the capacity.

If you have an application that is unable to write to the shares using the proper path i.e. \\servername\shares, please file a bug on Connect.
    Lara Jones [MSFT] | Program Manager
    Community Support and Beta | Windows Home Server Team
    Windows Home Server Team Blog
    Connect Windows Home Server
    Windows Home Server
    Thursday, May 14, 2009 8:39 PM
  • But again, why can't this be fixed?  It is still an issue with Win7.  Sure it is just cosmetic, but it is annoying and it also avoids you from actually noticing that your shared volume is getting full which does affect the functionality of the system.  If you are used to always seeing "red" then you will ignore it.

Remember "The Boy Who Cried Wolf".
    Tuesday, May 19, 2009 5:38 PM