Update Closed Cases RRS feed

• Question

• I created a new field for cases/incidents and I need to populate that field for all cases including closed ones. In the past I did this for other closed records from other entities by exporting all records, mark them for re-importing, updating the data and re-import the records. However, for cases I am getting the error "This case has already been resolved. Close and reopen the case record to see the updates."

The issue is that I want to keep the original resolution date which I believe I will lose if I open it and then close it again. Is there a different way to achieve this, i.e. populate a field in closed cases/incidents?

Wednesday, August 6, 2014 2:35 PM

Answers

• Without re-opening the case, I know of no support way to do that. If this is on-premises, you could push the data for the new field directly to the SQL database, but that is super-unsupported and you definitely want to take a back-up first.

The postings on this site are solely my own and do not represent or constitute Hitachi Solutions' positions, views, strategies or opinions.

• Marked as answer by hfaun Wednesday, August 6, 2014 9:25 PM
    Wednesday, August 6, 2014 3:05 PM

All replies

• Without re-opening the case, I know of no support way to do that. If this is on-premises, you could push the data for the new field directly to the SQL database, but that is super-unsupported and you definitely want to take a back-up first.

The postings on this site are solely my own and do not represent or constitute Hitachi Solutions' positions, views, strategies or opinions.

• Marked as answer by hfaun Wednesday, August 6, 2014 9:25 PM
    Wednesday, August 6, 2014 3:05 PM
  • Wayne, thanks. It's strange that this works for some entities but not for others like cases.
    Wednesday, August 6, 2014 9:25 PM
  • It's due to process management.  Contacts and Accounts generally aren't a process themselves, so it's generally acceptable to update stuff on disabled records.  Closed cases are generally supposed to be fixed in time like a mosquito in amber, frequently for legal and regulatory requirements, due to them being a customer interaction, and a process.

Thursday, August 7, 2014 3:11 PM
  • Actually, exactly due to regulatory issues I don't want to reopen the case as when I close it afterwards it has the wrong date. I guess I have no other option then going directly into the database.
    Tuesday, August 12, 2014 6:14 PM