Capacity planning for OCS2K7 deployment RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am facing some question on OCS2K7 Capacity planning and deployment scenario. Would you mind share your experience with me? Here is may question.

Question 1:
    1. I will implement OCS2K7 in next month. Total number of user around 1,200 that all stay in the same location. Mainly feature including IM, Presence, Web and A/V conferencing, Telephony (RCC)with call manager.

Due to the cost problem,is it enough if i choose OCS2K7 enterprise edition with consolidated deployment? And is it possible to install on Win2k3  32bit enterprise edition OS with 8GB memory? Would you mind share your past experience on hardware specification such as speed of CPU, Harddisk and Memory etc.

Thanks a lot for your help.

Regards
    Kenneth Chow

kenneth
    Wednesday, January 14, 2009 9:45 AM

All replies

• Hi Kenneth,

You can install W2k3 with 8GB Memory, but you don't can use it.
    For OCS you can install W2k3 x64 an install OCS. It works, but the ASP.NET for the IIS is installed in 32Bit Compability Mode.

I think the consolidated deployment for 1200 Users is a little bit to slow, but it depends on your Hardware. Try the OCS Capacity Planer to detect wich Hardware do you need.

Regards
    Falk
    Wednesday, January 14, 2009 12:25 PM
  • Actually that is incorrect, Windows Server 2003 32-bit can address and use 8GB (all the way up to 128GB depending on the version) via PAE and AWE features.  Check these articles for info on how to configure and address memory beyond 4GB:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa366778.aspx#physical_memory_limits_windows_server_2003
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/283037

Although a single Standard Edition cluster will support 1,200 easily (on current server-level hardware) it depends on the amount of conferencing usage in your environment.  And if you need high-availability, which would point to a 2-node Enterprise cluster as the best option.
    Jeff Schertz, PointBridge | MVP | MCITP: Enterprise Messaging | MCTS: OCS
    Wednesday, January 14, 2009 1:35 PM