Network Observations RRS feed

• Question

• After installing WLOC 2.0 I noticed another link Icon with name OC2554570259339

in the Networking folder Also (My Networks)

What the Heck is that It appears to have to do with the Print file Sharing in WLOC 2.0

It Has my printer in it too so now I got 2 links to the same printer.

Some Clairification on this be nice if any one knows.   

Sunday, July 15, 2007 9:58 PM

Answers

• This is by design for printer sharing.

OneCare creates a new name for Vista computers to which a computer is attached. This different name allows us to share printers without impacting file shares. We are working on creating a more intuitive name for the next beta refresh.

Thanks

Neeraj

Wednesday, July 18, 2007 6:44 AM

All replies

• I've only got one machine running v2.0 right now and no printer shared from that PC, so I don't know.

Do you see that icon on multiple PCs when viewing My Network Places on each of them?

-steve

Monday, July 16, 2007 12:19 AM
  • Yes it appears on all network places folders It looks like another network path for the share printers I got Windows Vista Sharing center which is my main computer showing my printers then the OC00000000 is the WLOC Printer sharing path.

I figure stuff out after while but why there there was 6 I don't know it went away and now only one appears I reset wloc 2.0 to default it redetected network settings so now it's not so confusing.  

Here's my network in nut shell

Computer1

Printer(cpu1)

Computer2

Xbox360

4 port router

CableModem

Network path  

Computer1/Printer to router port 1

Computer2 Port2

Xbox360 Port3

example: Network map

System01,Printer/ Media01(akaxbox360)/ System02/ OC000000 <NEW

The Printer is sharing With system 1 and 2

OC000000 WLOC 2.0 generated by wloc2.0 but in my setup is not needed because I can turn off wloc sharing and my printer still connects to system 2

Monday, July 16, 2007 10:11 PM
  • Thanks, Mikro. I reported it to the OneCare team. We'll see if we can get some more info on this.

-steve

Tuesday, July 17, 2007 12:43 AM
  • This is by design for printer sharing.

OneCare creates a new name for Vista computers to which a computer is attached. This different name allows us to share printers without impacting file shares. We are working on creating a more intuitive name for the next beta refresh.

Thanks

Neeraj

Wednesday, July 18, 2007 6:44 AM
  • Thanks, Neeraj!

-steve

Wednesday, July 18, 2007 5:27 PM