WHS Installation, HDD setup, and drive letter questions RRS feed

• Question

• Hello everyone! I have a few questions regarding WHS that I am hoping this community can help to answer for me. I just built my own media server box from scratch (first one) and my intent was to install WHS (I have the SP2 evaluation ISO ), copy all of my movies, pictures, music, and other misc. important files to the server and be able to access those files from my laptop which is networked wirelessy. However, I ran into a few problems. Installation of the WHS OS went fine. The problems began when I had to "add" the HDD's into the server storage tab. 1. It formatted all three of my drives! I had over 260gb's of very critical data on those drives. So why does WHS format a new drive that you want to add to the storage? Is there anyway around this? (I had to have a friend recover the data for me. I was quite pissed off that WHS did this). 2. I noticed that when I accessed the server through my laptop, none of the hdd's had any drive letters assigned. So if I wanted to control where my files were saved I didn't see that option. It seemed that the server storage was just one big container (3.5 TB's between three drives). I'd like to be able to assign drive letters to my three drives, and then control what server folders are linked to what drive. Is this possible? All help on these questions/problems that I've encountered is very much appreciated. I've never used WHS before but I think it will be great. I watch a lot of movies, that I stream through my Xbox 360, and music as well, so if I can get this working properly I can just access everything on my WHS. Thank you for your time.
    Thursday, December 24, 2009 5:34 PM

Answers

• Thanks Kariyam very helpful info.  I'm not sure if WHS will work out the way I want it too.  I not keen on it having control over my drives, so I may just use Windows 7 instead.

Thansk for all of your help...
    Monday, December 28, 2009 4:06 PM

All replies

1. Windows Home Server needs to manage drives that are part of the storage pool, including determining what files are stored where. As a result, it needs complete control of the drive, thus the format. This is why the drive is formatted: so Windows Home Server will have complete control of it. However, when you add a drive to the storage pool, you are warned that the drive will be formatted before this happens, and given the option to quit without adding the drive. If you choose to continue, anything already on the drive is lost.
    2. You are correct, Windows Home Server doesn't permit you to control what files go on what drives. This allows Windows Home Server to combine multiple drives into a single large "pool" of storage which is managed automatically. Again, this allows complete control of the drive.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Thursday, December 24, 2009 7:30 PM
  • Ken,

Thanks for your reply.

1.  Now that the data on my hdd's was recovered, when I put them back into my computer bays and boot up the box, then connect to the server through my laptop, if I click on the server storage tab it shows me the storage capacity of each drive, but if I check out the shared folders tab they all appear empty (like there is no data on the drives, although I know there is).  Wouldn't WHS filter the files into their appropriate folders (i.e music, movie, pictures, etc.)??

Since recovering the data on the drives took a while and basically ate up my entire 30day trial, would formatted the hdd with the WHS OS installed on it and then reinstalling work for another 30 days so I can actually get to try it out?

Thanks for anyone's help..
    Sunday, December 27, 2009 5:56 PM
  • Ken,

Thanks for your reply.

1.  Now that the data on my hdd's was recovered, when I put them back into my computer bays and boot up the box, then connect to the server through my laptop, if I click on the server storage tab it shows me the storage capacity of each drive, but if I check out the shared folders tab they all appear empty (like there is no data on the drives, although I know there is).  Wouldn't WHS filter the files into their appropriate folders (i.e music, movie, pictures, etc.)??

No.  As Ken already said, you need to give complete control of the hard drives to the server (which you haven't done yet).  So far they are just connected to the server.  In order to give control of the drives to WHS, you need to add them to the storage pool (which will automatically format each drive).  Once the drives are part of the storage pool, you then copy the data from a client PC in your LAN to whichever server share you want to store the files on.

Since recovering the data on the drives took a while and basically ate up my entire 30day trial, would formatted the hdd with the WHS OS installed on it and then reinstalling work for another 30 days so I can actually get to try it out?

Thanks for anyone's help..
    Yes, you can install the eval again and get another 30 days.  Note however that if you do a New Installation, all of the drives connected to the server will automatically be formatted at the time of the OS installation.
    Monday, December 28, 2009 6:13 AM
  • Thanks Kariyam very helpful info.  I'm not sure if WHS will work out the way I want it too.  I not keen on it having control over my drives, so I may just use Windows 7 instead.

Thansk for all of your help...
    Monday, December 28, 2009 4:06 PM