Trouble with WHS2003 staying connected to network RRS feed

• Question

• Just recently I am not able to stay connected on the network with my HP EX490 running WHS2003.  I am able to access it via RDC, so I know it is functioning.  It locks up constantly, and the only way I can get back to it is to power it off with the power button on back of the EX490.  The network settings are all set to default, using DHCP.  Oddly enough, (using LookAtLAN) the media server is assigned an IP on my network and shows up as an ONLINE status, but it cannot be accessed through the Windows Home Server Control Panel.  I have tried to use the Server Recovery Disk but it fails on step 3 of 4, with no explanation.  If it is possible to upgrade to WHS2011 from 2003, I would consider that option.

Thanks in advance for anyone's help.

(Trouble with WHS2003 staying connected to network)

Saturday, August 13, 2011 4:04 AM

All replies

• I can't help with your problem other than to say that there is no direct upgrade path from WHS1 (32-bit) to WHS2011 (64-bit) - this  is common with all Microsoft operating systems. WHS2011 will require a full reinstall but there are multiple ways to transfer your data between the two dependent upon the hardware you have available - your existing hardware just about meets the minimum requirement for WHS2011.
    Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.
    Saturday, August 13, 2011 4:54 AM
  • Hi,

Locking up and accessing via RDP are contradictionary to each other, so what is true? (Or isnt that at the same time?)

Sounds for me like the memory issue sometimes seen after upgrading the ex470 to 2 GB RAM. (I could only solve it by downgrading to 1 GB.)

Either the RAM has compatibility issues or there is really a hidden bug in BIOS, Firmware or drivers of the Mediasmart series, which is causing the machine locking up with 2 GB RAM installed from time to time.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

Thursday, August 18, 2011 6:57 AM