switching subscriptions to $19.95 or free Amazon store-bought version RRS feed

• Question

• Since all the major electronics stores are selling OneCare version 2 for $19.95, and Amazon is selling it for $30 with a $30 rebate (making it free), I'm wondering if there is a clean & simple way to not let my subscription automatically renew for $49.95 from Microsoft, but instead switch it to one of the store-bought subscriptions?  Is there a way to do this so the same settings and email address stay with OneCare?

Many thanks for any help anyone can offer...
    Saturday, February 2, 2008 2:09 PM

Answers

•  

If your subscription has not expired, go to http://billing.microsoft.com and sign in with your subscription LiveID. (Open OneCare and click help/about to view the subscription LiveID)

Select the OneCare subscription and click on the renew link.

Choose the option to renew with a prepaid PIN or token which is the retail product key.

Enter the 25 character key and proceed.

It can take up to 24 hours for the subscription status to be updated in OneCare.

-steve
    Monday, February 4, 2008 6:16 PM
  •  mangoesbananas wrote:
    Actually, Stephen, all the alert emails I get (from all the various threads I've started in the OneCare forum) have that same bad link in them.  It goes to an MSDN forum page that I told you about, and it's not at all related to the OneCare forum page.  For instance, when I click on "my threads", it says I don't have any.  So, it seems someone needs to fix the links in the alerts emails.

Thanks...

I see that it has been reported to the MSDN/Technet forums people and they are testing a fix.

http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2747366&SiteID=1

-steve

Wednesday, February 6, 2008 12:49 AM

All replies

•  

If your subscription has not expired, go to http://billing.microsoft.com and sign in with your subscription LiveID. (Open OneCare and click help/about to view the subscription LiveID)

Select the OneCare subscription and click on the renew link.

Choose the option to renew with a prepaid PIN or token which is the retail product key.

Enter the 25 character key and proceed.

It can take up to 24 hours for the subscription status to be updated in OneCare.

-steve
    Monday, February 4, 2008 6:16 PM
  • Thank you, Stephen, for always supplying such clear & helpful information.  I'm glad there's a way to make use of the Amazon free version of OneCare.  I'm not sure why Microsoft continues to charge $49.95 for OneCare when most stores sell it for between $19.95 and $30 (or free as it is currently with Amazon)!

Monday, February 4, 2008 10:11 PM
  • You're very welcome. I have to wonder why, too, but then I've never been good at marketing.

-steve

Tuesday, February 5, 2008 2:18 AM
  • By the way, Stephen, I thought I should tell you that the "alert me" emails that come when a post on this forum is updated have a bad link in them.  For instance, in the email I got alerting me to your latest response, the "click here to view the post alert details" link was:

http://forums.microsoft.com/forums/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2790667&SiteID=2

When I clicked on the link, I was taken to an MSDN forums page saying, "this forums has already been merged into another forum or deleted".  And if I click on "my threads" on that page, it shows nothing.  I have to manually go to the OneCare forum to find my threads.  So, it looks like the link in the alert emails needs fixing.

Thanks for all...
    Tuesday, February 5, 2008 4:43 PM
  • It's really quite simple. As part of the distribution agreement Microsoft makes with its partners they will usually agree not to sell their own products for less than some fixed figure, usually the MSRP. This guarantees the over the counter vendors their margin and the option to sell at below MSRP to draw business and compete with other vendors.

If Microsoft could sell you the product for $20/yr then what incentive would you have to go to the other vendors? And why then would these vendors want to carry your product? This may be an oversipmlification, but basically it's how any reseller agreement works, since without this guarantee the developer/builder of a product could simply undersell their resellers any time they wish.

This is different from the idea of a reduced price for buing multiple years or bundles of the product at once. However, I suspect they don't wish to create these additional product SKUs and confusion for a product that's meant primarily to sell to individual home users who typically only have one or two PCs.

OneCareBear

Tuesday, February 5, 2008 8:21 PM
  • Thanks for explaining the pricing thing.  I guess I'll continue not buying from Microsoft, but from Amazon (or others) instead.
    Tuesday, February 5, 2008 8:52 PM
  • By the way, Stephen, I thought I should tell you that the "alert me" emails that come when a post on this forum is updated have a bad link in them.  For instance, in the email I got alerting me to your latest response, the "click here to view the post alert details" link was:

http://forums.microsoft.com/forums/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2790667&SiteID=2

When I clicked on the link, I was taken to an MSDN forums page saying, "this forums has already been merged into another forum or deleted".  And if I click on "my threads" on that page, it shows nothing.  I have to manually go to the OneCare forum to find my threads.  So, it looks like the link in the alert emails needs fixing.

Thanks for all...
    Tuesday, February 5, 2008 8:53 PM
  • Strange about the URL. I don't think your post was merged. Hmmmm.... Thanks for pointing it out.

-steve

Tuesday, February 5, 2008 10:30 PM
  • Actually, Stephen, all the alert emails I get (from all the various threads I've started in the OneCare forum) have that same bad link in them.  It goes to an MSDN forum page that I told you about, and it's not at all related to the OneCare forum page.  For instance, when I click on "my threads", it says I don't have any.  So, it seems someone needs to fix the links in the alerts emails.

Thanks...

Tuesday, February 5, 2008 11:44 PM
  •  mangoesbananas wrote:
    Actually, Stephen, all the alert emails I get (from all the various threads I've started in the OneCare forum) have that same bad link in them.  It goes to an MSDN forum page that I told you about, and it's not at all related to the OneCare forum page.  For instance, when I click on "my threads", it says I don't have any.  So, it seems someone needs to fix the links in the alerts emails.

Thanks...

I see that it has been reported to the MSDN/Technet forums people and they are testing a fix.

http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2747366&SiteID=1

-steve

Wednesday, February 6, 2008 12:49 AM
  • Okay, thanks for all, Stephen.
    Wednesday, February 6, 2008 2:00 PM