Server storage problem RRS feed

• Question

•  

I've been using WHS since release and just recently it seems to have ground to a halt with regard to getting data on it. I've got 2TB of storage, including a 120GB system drive. (OK. I read now that my system drive should have been bigger but I didn't know that when I installed the system so I'm stuck with that for now.)

The main trouble is that I'm getting an error of "System Hard drive has less than 5gb" frequently and now I'm getting "server storage pool is less than 28GB". I've got 500GB of free space, but obviously the trouble is drive D: where free space seems to fluctuate between almost nothing and 10 / 11GB - it's been stuck at 1.65gb for a couple of days now and I've got TV programs from Vista Media Centre stacking up - as they're usually 1 - 2.5GB in size I cannot transfer them to WHS!!! Even though I have 500GB free.

I don't understand the 28GB server storage error at all, but my main issue is how to kickstart drive D: Other posts suggest "waiting" but surely it should not be stuck at 1.65gb this long with no sign of it changing . . . . .

I've tried rebooting but still stuck at 1.65gb . . .

Grateful for any suggestions as long as it isn't buy a new hard drive. Jeez, I've spent enough already . . .

Tuesday, March 25, 2008 8:02 PM

Answers

• I solved it by deleting all my Backups - drive D now has 60gb free at the moment so I will monitor it closely as the backups build up again. Not ideal, but at least it's freed up some space to allow me to start putting files on again. Thanks

Wednesday, March 26, 2008 9:08 AM

All replies

• Hi, some people have found that rebooting the server sometimes kicks the migrator into action.

You haven't transferred any files to the sever outside the Console Shared Folders have you, as if so, that means WHs won't recognise them, or know what to do with them.

This was posted by the WHS Team some time ago:

All-

Let me clarify a few things here:

1. Server Storage tab shows the TOTAL free space in the storage pool (consisting of multiple disks). So You cannot assume that the free space shown in the Storage pool and the system drive has to be the same. Take for example the below scenario:

Say you have 2 disks: 80 GB (system) and a secondary disk of size 300 GB. Assume that you have 56 GB of duplicated data. Now, the primary disk will be utilized this way:

• 20 GB (for system partition). This 20GB is considered "used with 0GB free" for all practical purposes since WHS does not store data files here. So in the pie chart this will appear as "System" occupying 20GB (or sometimes more due to application data from the secondary disks).
    • 56 GB (primary copy of the data you have)

Now the total used space for the System hard drive (as per WHS) would be 20+56 = 76 GB, which means just 4GB free space and will trigger a critical notification since it has less than 5 Gig free. The biggest size of file that you can copy over to WHS is limited by this free space.

The secondary disk will have the duplicated 56GB and its free space would be 300GB - 56 GB = 244GB. The total free space on the storage pool would be 4 GB of primary + 244 GB of secondary = 248 GB.

This is the reason why you must be getting a "System Drive less than 5GB" error from the console, even though you have 248GB free space.

This is one of the reasons why a big primary drive is important and recommended for WHS.

Windows Home Server Team

[unquote]

HTH,

Colin

Tuesday, March 25, 2008 8:29 PM
  • I would suggest you (temporarily) remove some files from your WHS to  increase the free space on the landing zone (D partition). If the free space get's to low it will grind to a halt as you are experiencieng now. So:

1. MOVE 10 - 20 GB from one or more shares to another system or hdd

2. Reboot, and allow a few hours to balance.

3. At all times try and keep at least 10GB of free space on the D partition

Tuesday, March 25, 2008 11:42 PM
  • I solved it by deleting all my Backups - drive D now has 60gb free at the moment so I will monitor it closely as the backups build up again. Not ideal, but at least it's freed up some space to allow me to start putting files on again. Thanks

Wednesday, March 26, 2008 9:08 AM