none
How do I know when the backup will run RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am just new to WHS and frankly I love it. Primary use at the moment is to automate my client backups (win 7, Vista and XP). One of my clients is a laptop that does laptop things like leave the home wireless network with me. I have the backups scheduled to run during the day (7am-8pm) as that is when the clients are normally on and I haven't seen a performance hit doing backups and being used as clients although, this may change if I the wake up on LAN stuff comes together.

So back to the question. The laptop (win 7) comes and goes from the network at irregular times and I want WHS to do the backup when it becomes available. How do i know when the backup will run (other than the scheduled time) for the laptop, and when WHS will check for the laptop and realize it should do a backup, etc?

Thanks
    Kent
    Friday, November 20, 2009 2:14 PM

All replies

• The backup is driven from the client computer rather than the server. So the laptop will decide when to back up, not Windows Home Server. The client does this by choosing a random time in the first half of the window to try to back up. If the server can be reached, the client will queue up a backup, which will run if it starts before the end of the window. If the client can't reach the server, it obviously doesn't back itself up.

If your laptop has not yet backed up in the current backup window, and the window is still open, it should attempt a backup immediately upon being powered up, if it's on AC power (it won't make the attempt on battery). If you're outside the window, you can always initiate a manual backup...

Regarding waking: That's also controlled by/from the client, not by using Wake On LAN. The connector sets a hardware timer to wake the client at the predetermined random time. The client wakes at that time (if in sleep or hibernation, and not on battery) and attempts a backup.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Friday, November 20, 2009 2:43 PM