How to move a synced folder without disrupting syncronization RRS feed

• Question

• Hello.

I have two folders on two different computers synced just as I would want them.

I now want to move the folder to a different location in the file system on one of the computers, but keep the two synced.

Is there any way to do this?  How?

If I just drag the folder and drop it, it doesn't seem to do the trick.

Many thanks for your kind help.
    Wednesday, January 6, 2010 2:02 AM

Answers

• Hello.

I now want to move the folder to a different location in the file system on one of the computers, but keep the two synced.

I follow these steps:

1) Navigate to the folder using Windows Explorer
    2) Right-click on the folder and click "Live Mesh Options"
    3a) Click "Delete folder..." (It will explain that you're not really deleting the folder contents as long as you synced with the Live Desktop or another folder)

-or-

3b) Click "Change sync settings..." in the context menu
    4) Find the option under "Synchronize files" that corresponds to your device
    5) Change the setting to "Never with this device"

You may now move the folder to a different location on your machine.

Once it's been moved, follow these steps to set up the Sync again:

1) Click the Mesh icon in your system tray
    2) Click on the shortcut to the folder you'd like to re-map
    3) Click the "Browse" button and select the folder in it's new location
    4) If you get a message asking if you want to "Merge with existing folder?", click "Yes"

The folder has now been moved, but the Mesh sync link to the folder on your other machine has been preserved.  To move the folder on the other machine, just follow the same steps there.

I tried just draggin the file as you described - and that would seem to be a more intuitive solution, but when I dragged my test Meshed folder to the desktop it didn't have the "Live Mesh Options" context menu anymore - I didn't take time to test it beyond that.

"We're all in it together, kid." - Harry Tuttle, Heating Engineer
    Wednesday, January 6, 2010 1:51 PM

All replies

• Hello.

I follow these steps:

1) Navigate to the folder using Windows Explorer
    2) Right-click on the folder and click "Live Mesh Options"
    3a) Click "Delete folder..." (It will explain that you're not really deleting the folder contents as long as you synced with the Live Desktop or another folder)

-or-

3b) Click "Change sync settings..." in the context menu
    4) Find the option under "Synchronize files" that corresponds to your device
    5) Change the setting to "Never with this device"

You may now move the folder to a different location on your machine.

Once it's been moved, follow these steps to set up the Sync again:

1) Click the Mesh icon in your system tray
    2) Click on the shortcut to the folder you'd like to re-map
    3) Click the "Browse" button and select the folder in it's new location
    4) If you get a message asking if you want to "Merge with existing folder?", click "Yes"

The folder has now been moved, but the Mesh sync link to the folder on your other machine has been preserved.  To move the folder on the other machine, just follow the same steps there.

I tried just draggin the file as you described - and that would seem to be a more intuitive solution, but when I dragged my test Meshed folder to the desktop it didn't have the "Live Mesh Options" context menu anymore - I didn't take time to test it beyond that.

"We're all in it together, kid." - Harry Tuttle, Heating Engineer
    Wednesday, January 6, 2010 1:51 PM
  • Bleak Morn is correct. Moving folders by dragging and dropping on the PC would seem like it should work, but it doesn't.

I'll add another option, which is the way I do it.

Go to the Live Desktop at www.mesh.com and change the sync properties for the folder you plan to move. Set it to *not* sync with the device or devices that you need to move the target folder on.

Go to the device and you'll see that the folder is no longer a Mesh folder, it is now a normal Windows Explorer yellow folder icon.
    Move the folder as desired. Repeat for any other devices that you wish to make the change on.

Go to the Live Desktop and change the sync properties to set the folder back to sync with the device(s) where you moved the folder(s) on.

You will see a light blue offered folder on the PC desktop. Click it and select Browse to navigate to the new target folder. Click OK and accept the warning about merging and conflicts. The light blue folder disappears from the desktop and the target folder is now your Mesh blue folder.

-steve
    ~ Microsoft MVP Windows Live ~ Windows Live OneCare| Live Mesh|MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator ~
    Wednesday, January 6, 2010 5:41 PM
  • Thanks - very helpful!
    Wednesday, January 6, 2010 8:25 PM
  • Thanks - very helpful!
    Wednesday, January 6, 2010 8:26 PM