Is There a Customer Number Generator? RRS feed

• Question

• I'm integrating CRM v4 with GP v10 and I need a Customer Number generator.

I want CRM to be the mechanism to create all contacts (including thos that turn into Customers, once they Quote); I never want a contact (customer) to be created in GP, anymore..The only way I want new Customers created in GP, is when they are created by the CRM integration.

I'm using eOne's SmartConnect to integrate.

Problem I'm having is that I need a way for CRM to create a unique customer number, before it can be created in GP by SmartConnect integration.

I would think that every integration between CRM and GP would need this... is there no way to create a unique number?
    Thursday, October 15, 2009 2:15 PM

Answers

• I've used the Account number in CRM to generate a unique Customer number for GP.  You can add some javascript to the Account entity in CRM to generate a unique value for the Account Number field as one option.  I've used something like the following for the number (concatenate the 1st three letters of the company name, zip code, city field).  You can select different values if that will not produce a unique result.

Best Regards, Donna
    • Marked as answer by Jim Glass Jr Monday, October 19, 2009 8:29 PM
    Thursday, October 15, 2009 2:30 PM

All replies

• I've used the Account number in CRM to generate a unique Customer number for GP.  You can add some javascript to the Account entity in CRM to generate a unique value for the Account Number field as one option.  I've used something like the following for the number (concatenate the 1st three letters of the company name, zip code, city field).  You can select different values if that will not produce a unique result.

Best Regards, Donna
    • Marked as answer by Jim Glass Jr Monday, October 19, 2009 8:29 PM
    Thursday, October 15, 2009 2:30 PM
  • As well as the JavaScript option that Donna mentioned, you can also use a plug-in to create a unique customer number. Have a look at this: http://crmnumbering.codeplex.com/. You can modify it to suit your needs.

Shafraz

http://crmdude.wordpress.com/
    Thursday, October 15, 2009 6:14 PM