OneCare keeps turning off... RRS feed

• Question

• For some reason, my Windows Live OneCare continuously shuts itself off. I click on the "turn on" button, so it turns green momentarily, but only a few seconds later it shuts back off.

At first I thought it was because my computer was running low on resources, taking a while to load... but if that were the problem, OneCare would stay running once it finally did. I suspect that I may have a trojan or something that is turning off my Windows virus protection off.

The funny thing is, under "Change settings," the firewall is still turned on. It's the virus and spyware monitoring that keeps getting turned off.
    Wednesday, March 19, 2008 10:42 PM

Answers

All replies

• Try the Virus and Spyware repair tool - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2667445&SiteID=2

Is all other functionality working okay? Can you change settings for various features?

What kind of resources do you have? CPU, memory, available memory?

You may also want to contact support -

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

-steve
    Thursday, March 20, 2008 2:03 AM
  • I can turn the firewall on and off, so the other settings seem to be working fine.

CPU usage is at about 10-15%, with only about 40% of my physical memory being used.

Sometimes, when I try to turn on the Virus and Spyware monitoring, I get this pop-up:

"Service Executable has stopped working."

I click on, "check online for a solution, and the Data Execution Prevention closed the Service Executable. I understand that the DEP will close programs that are using memory incorrectly, so I'm assuming that's why it closed the Service Executable. When I went to turn on the Virus and Spyware monitoring again, I once again I got the same "Service Executable has stopped working" pop-up. *grumbles*

I downloaded the Virus and Spyware repair tool, however when I ran it, I got this message:
    "You must have Administrative privileges to run this tool."

So, I logged onto my Administrative account, and attempted to install the tool... same message popped up. *frustration...*

Oh, and guess where the support FAQ eventually leads me to? This forum.
    Thursday, March 20, 2008 3:36 AM
  • Save to Virus and Spyware repair tool to the desktop and then right click the file and choose "Run as administrator" and agree to the UAC prompt that appears.

-steve

Thursday, March 20, 2008 6:37 PM