Validating a license that did not come with the CD RRS feed

• Question

• Hello everyone,

About 2 weeks ago, I installed Windows XP Home Edition with SP2 on this computer. I later found out that the CD was not an official Windows CD, but the serial number that I was trying to validate the copy of Windows with was perfectly legal: even a Microsoft customer service representative, after checking my serial number that I sent to him (or her), claimed that the license was a legal one. Yet WGA will not accept the perfectly legal license key, stating that "an invalid key was entered".

Is there some way to make WGA accept this legal (and purchased) license even if the CD from which Windows was installed from wasn't official (and might not even be legal), preferrably without losing any data or reinstalling Windows?

Thank you,
    Delnar_Ersike
    Sunday, February 17, 2008 4:35 PM

Answers

• A genuine Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 product key cannot be used with a counterfeit copy of a Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 installation CD.  If you cannot obtain a genuine

Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 installation CD, then the genuine Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 product key you have simply cannot be used.

How to Replace Lost, Broken, or Missing Microsoft Software or Hardware:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/326246/en-gb

Thursday, February 21, 2008 11:05 PM

All replies

• Sorry for the double post, but the product isn't Windows XP Home; it is Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005.
    Sunday, February 17, 2008 6:08 PM
  • Hello Delnar_Ersike,

Sorry but I am a little confused by your posting, do you have a product key for Windows Media Center but a CD for Windows XP home?  Are you attempting to install this for the first time and it is not accepting your product key?  I would highly suggest since you have determined you received a non-genuine copy of Windows is to return it to the place you bought it from and buy Windows from a legitimate store.  Please let me know if you have any further questions or concerns.

Thank you,

Matt Prall, MS
    WGA Forum Manager

Tuesday, February 19, 2008 6:59 PM
  • Delnar_Ersike,

It sounds like you are attempting to use the Product Key Updater Utility to update the PK on an installation of Media Center.  Unfortunately, the PK Updater is not designed to function with Media Center.

In order to "replace" a nongenuine installation of Media Center with a genuine installation, try doing a repair reinstallation, and when Setup asks for the Product Key, use the one that you think is Genuine.  The repair reinstallation is designed to preserve your data and installed programs, BUT, it's always prudent to back up any irreplaceable data before you try it.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315341

Wednesday, February 20, 2008 3:58 AM
  • I have tried reinstalling Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 with the (counterfeit, mind you) CD and to no avail: the setup will not accept my license.

I did some searching on the matter and after a long while, I found out the following: Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 is not sold as a retail version, therefore the CD I got from a friend is most definately a counterfeit. I ran the MGA diagnostics program on the computer and the last 15 digits of the serial key it came up with matched that of a blocked volume license key. However, I still have the completely legal license key that I am unable to validate, and the manufacturer is offering any help, as the product I am using is now unsupported.

Is there any way for me to change the key on the Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 installation to a legal one, without  using manufacturer-supplied tools and with a minimum amount of data loss if possible?
    Thursday, February 21, 2008 10:21 PM
  • A genuine Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 product key cannot be used with a counterfeit copy of a Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 installation CD.  If you cannot obtain a genuine

Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 installation CD, then the genuine Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 product key you have simply cannot be used.

How to Replace Lost, Broken, or Missing Microsoft Software or Hardware:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/326246/en-gb

Thursday, February 21, 2008 11:05 PM