Resume a backup RRS feed

• Question

• I've done a lot of reading about resuming back ups.  And I've seen how resuming a backup could be a bad idea.  But I can also see how and why resuming could be helpfull.

In my case I have 2 compaqs that have never been backed up thay both get to about 80% and fail!  (And I have 6 PC's)  So having as a admin the option to froce a resune of a backup would in this case be a optioon that I would like to see in the final.

Rod

Wednesday, June 27, 2007 4:57 PM

All replies

• Resuming a backup isn't a bad idea, it's a good one. I would love to see Microsoft find a way to include the capability to do so.

However, the way WHS backups work, I just don't think it's possible. WHS uses shadow copies to maintain a consistent file state during a backup. The problem is that the shadow copy service typically has a quota on contents. Once a backup starts, if you allow resuming a failed backup, you have to keep accumulating shadow copies, and you'll fairly quickly run out of space.

There's a technical reason not to do it, too: you have to keep track of exactly where you are once a backup has failed. Because of the way WHS does backups, that might be pretty complex.
    Wednesday, June 27, 2007 8:57 PM