Did the Vail Team forget to add a manual button to trigger a Manual Backup Database Cleanup? RRS feed

• Question

• Did the Vail Team forget to add a manual button to trigger a Manual Backup Database Cleanup? Or forget to move this feature from the old WHS? The only cleanup I can find is for other files and not for the unsuccessful backup database session files marked for deletion.

The reason I ask, is I have a number of backups that I have marked for deletion the next time cleanup is run. And they are still their after a number of days. And after pushing every button I could find. LOLL

If this is documented some where I apologize ahead of time.

I like this feature for optimizing/maximizing my storage before doing another backup.

Many Thanks to the Vail Team for the new Vail WHS.

Bruce :-)

IMPORTANT NOTICE: This communication, including any attachment, contains information that may be confidential or privileged, and is intended solely for the entity or individual to whom it is addressed. If you are not the intended recipient, you should contact the sender and delete the message. Any unauthorized disclosure, copying, or distribution of this message is strictly prohibited. Nothing in this email, including any attachment, is intended to be a legally binding signature.
    Friday, April 30, 2010 10:05 PM

Answers

• The cleanup will run Saturday at 11:59 PM.

It may be that there's no button (right now) because the interface in this area isn't feature complete. Or it may be because a database cleanup doesn't really shrink the database that much in common cleanup scenarios (deleting a few backups of a single PC).

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Friday, April 30, 2010 10:17 PM
  • There's a scheduled task for cleanup on the server. You can start the task manually for now if you want.

cheers

-Bodhi

Bodhi Deb - MSFT
    Saturday, May 1, 2010 2:57 AM

All replies

• The cleanup will run Saturday at 11:59 PM.

It may be that there's no button (right now) because the interface in this area isn't feature complete. Or it may be because a database cleanup doesn't really shrink the database that much in common cleanup scenarios (deleting a few backups of a single PC).

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Friday, April 30, 2010 10:17 PM
  • Thank You Ken for the useful information.

Bruce :-)

IMPORTANT NOTICE: This communication, including any attachment, contains information that may be confidential or privileged, and is intended solely for the entity or individual to whom it is addressed. If you are not the intended recipient, you should contact the sender and delete the message. Any unauthorized disclosure, copying, or distribution of this message is strictly prohibited. Nothing in this email, including any attachment, is intended to be a legally binding signature.
    Friday, April 30, 2010 10:22 PM
  • There's a scheduled task for cleanup on the server. You can start the task manually for now if you want.

cheers

-Bodhi

Bodhi Deb - MSFT
    Saturday, May 1, 2010 2:57 AM
  • Please remember that Home Server is supposed to be managed only via Dashboard, so if there is any task that you need but cannot do through Dashboard, we would love to hear about it.

Thanks.

Windows Home Server Team
    Saturday, May 1, 2010 7:26 AM
  • I had turned off my Vail test box for about 10 days.  When bringing it back up again, I noticed the Dashboard Warning exclamation, which suggested I Open the dashboard to fix, but it turns out there is no option to "Cleanup Backup Database" in the current beta.  Just hoping this is merely a UI piece that is missing, to be filled in before this goes GA.

Just in case it's helpful, here's what the entire message read, verbatim:

A scheduled cleanup task did not succeed

VAILSERVER 5/17/2010 1:55 PM

Cleanup has not run successfully for 15 days.  A scheduled cleanup task did not succeed on 5/2/2010 10:39:40 AM.

Resolve this alert

To Clean up the computer backup database, open the server Dashboard, and then click the Computers and BAckup tab. Choose Cleanup Backup Database.

If you continue to experience this problem, click Search for a solution to this problem.

Tasks:

Open the dashboard

Delete the alert

Ignore the alert

Monday, May 17, 2010 8:03 PM
  • Well we are most likely going to remove the alert and also not have the button for manual cleanup in the final release. The cleanup doesnt really help much in the short term. In terms of storage you dont see much because most data is single instanced and incremental. In the long run it helps keep a steady state size of the backups.

cheers

-Bodhi

Bodhi Deb - MSFT
    Monday, May 17, 2010 8:08 PM
  • Please reconsider.  Don't remove an option. 

--

"Bodhi Deb - MSFT" <=?utf-8?B?Qm9kaGkgRGViIC0gTVNGVA==?=> wrote in message news:c4b13362-a496-4cf0-83df-1e20705ca4d8...

Well we are most likely going to remove the alert and also not have the button for manual cleanup in the final release. The cleanup doesnt really help much in the short term. In terms of storage you dont see much because most data is single instanced and incremental. In the long run it helps keep a steady state size of the backups.

cheers

-Bodhi

Bodhi Deb - MSFT

BullDawg
    Monday, May 17, 2010 9:45 PM
  • I agree... too often they are too quick to remove useful options in order to
    ‘idiot-proof’ (not meant disparagingly) things. Window 7 is a good example
    as you know. :)

Art (artfudd) Folden
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "BullDawg" wrote in message news:dabcefec-f6b5-476b-b762-dbf8b59a40f6...

Please reconsider. Don't remove an option.

--

"Bodhi Deb - MSFT" <=?utf-8?B?Qm9kaGkgRGViIC0gTVNGVA==?=> wrote in message
    news:c4b13362-a496-4cf0-83df-1e20705ca4d8...

Well we are most likely going to remove the alert and also not have the
    button for manual cleanup in the final release. The cleanup doesnt really
    help much in the short term. In terms of storage you dont see much because
    most data is single instanced and incremental. In the long run it helps keep
    a steady state size of the backups.

cheers

-Bodhi

Bodhi Deb - MSFT BullDawg

Wednesday, May 19, 2010 6:53 PM
  • I used that option in v1 quite often because of changing things around among
    my drives on various clients, which then resulted in some things getting
    backed up that I didn’t want or need to back up before getting to changing
    the backup preferences. I prefer to then remove those backups that included
    those... so how can Vail ‘read my mind’ so as to know what I want left there
    and what I don’t want left there?

Perhaps in trying to make it simple enough for the un-learned masses, you
    maybe eliminate (or lessen at least) the usefulness to the ‘trained’ masses?
    This notion IMO is a lazy way of getting around writing easy to understand
    and use instructions or wizards for the ‘un-trained’... :) Just check around
    and I think you will find that by simplifying things (by removing options)
    in Windows, you have chased a considerable number of people to ‘other’
    operating systems. I have seen already a number of people here lament that
    perhaps Vail is not going to be for them because of this.

Just my 2 cents.. :)

Art (artfudd) Folden
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "Bodhi Deb - MSFT" wrote in message
    news:c4b13362-a496-4cf0-83df-1e20705ca4d8...

Well we are most likely going to remove the alert and also not have the
    button for manual cleanup in the final release. The cleanup doesnt really
    help much in the short term. In terms of storage you dont see much because
    most data is single instanced and incremental. In the long run it helps keep
    a steady state size of the backups.

cheers

-Bodhi

Bodhi Deb - MSFT

Wednesday, May 19, 2010 7:03 PM