Backups from WHS RRS feed

• Question

• What do we do with our old backups from WHS (version one) when move and migrate to WHS 2011?

delete them? the reason i'm asking is that let's say i need an older file that is backed up last year, so what do i do if the new WHS 2011 doesn't read my old backups?

buy a new hardware and keep WHS (version one) just in case i need it?

Wednesday, May 9, 2012 7:13 AM

All replies

• Unfortunately v1 and v2 backup engines and file format are not compatable

with each other. You could copy the file into a standard ntfs format for archive.

• Marked as answer by Sean Zhu - Monday, May 14, 2012 8:46 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by SeaMan Thursday, May 17, 2012 5:48 PM
    Wednesday, May 9, 2012 3:55 PM
  • Agreed - back up the data you want to retain as an archive.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

• Marked as answer by SeaMan Thursday, May 10, 2012 5:56 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by SeaMan Thursday, May 10, 2012 5:56 AM
    Wednesday, May 9, 2012 8:54 PM
  • Phil, how do i translate your answer?

Thursday, May 10, 2012 6:01 AM
  • I was agreeing with what Garry said. The two backup types are not compatible so you will need to store individual files, which I called an archive.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

• Marked as answer by Sean Zhu - Monday, May 14, 2012 8:46 AM
    Thursday, May 10, 2012 6:35 AM
  • Which backups are you talking about? Client or server? If the former, the database formats are incompatible, so you will need to keep a V1 server around or extract backups and store them in another format. This FAQ has a good method of doing so.

If you're talking about V1 backups, set the V1 backup disk aside, but do nothing else with it. The backups on that disk are already files in an NTFS file system, and can be read on any computer capable of mounting the disk.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)

Thursday, May 10, 2012 10:36 AM
  • Ken,

I'm talking about WHS when it backs up your computers everyday, do you call that client or server, sorry i don't use these terms as you guys are using them here.

I'm not sure if i need the "This FAQ", if i have WHS setup and a connector from a client i can just open up all my backups and restore what I want selectively, i have tried it once.

so are you saying i can just keep my backups on the side and a copy of WHS server install file, if i need anything from the past then i can just reinstall it (it is easy for me because i have virtualized network at home, Hyper-V server and clients) and retrieve any file, and from now on i can just install WHS 2011 and start over, right?

maybe my question should be like this (original question), if there is no versioning that WHS does with the backups (I'm not sure about that) and I never had a computer crash so far then there is no point keeping the WHS backups forever, just transition and start over with WHS 2011, what do you think?

the other question is, at any time can i install WHS server, copy the backup files to it, connect to it form a client then try to restore? and let's say i have different (CPU, RAM, etc...)

also what is WHS V1? does that indicate WHS version 1, which is the one based on windows server 2003?

Thanks.

SeaMan

• Marked as answer by SeaMan Tuesday, May 15, 2012 8:25 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by SeaMan Tuesday, May 15, 2012 8:25 PM
    Monday, May 14, 2012 11:54 PM