How do I deal with a "Duplication is failing" error? RRS feed

• Question

• I'm getting the following error on WHS:

"Duplication is failing for the following shared folder: Music. There is not enough free space available to maintain a copy on more than one hard drive."

I've looked at the space on the server (733 GB free) and I've tried to click the "Details" button on the Admin Console (which does nothing).  I've also looked at the event viewer on the server (a few errors about hash problems in files for Windows Search, but no problems with chkdsk as far as I can see).

My questions are:

1) Is this a real error message or an erroneous error message?

2) Why can't I get information by clicking the 'Details' button?

3) What can I check on the server to determine the cause of the error?

4) If it is erroneous (or not), how can I fix the problem and make the message stop popping up?

5) If this is a bug, is it or will it be fixed in a later build?

I've logged this in connect with all the requisite details and TALQ logs.  Anyone else seeing similar symptoms?

https://connect.microsoft.com/WindowsHomeServer/feedback/ViewFeedback.aspx?FeedbackID=267576

Friday, April 6, 2007 8:23 PM

Answers

•  

This is a real message. I haven't seen it happen erroneously.

Sorry, the backend implementation to show the details of the error was not implemented for Beta2, but was done later.

The probable causes are:

1. Do you have files with path length greater than 255 characters in the failing folder (Music in your case)

2. Do you have one or more hard disks failing?

3. Do you have more than one hard disk on your server? (I presume you have since you have 733 GB free)

4. Are you running out of space on C:/ volume?

5. Any files locked (and hence could not be duplicated) in Music folder

4) If it is erroneous (or not), how can I fix the problem and make the message stop popping up?

This doesn't look like a known issue, thank you for filing it in connect.

Friday, April 6, 2007 9:46 PM

All replies

• Had identical problem with "Photos"

Error disappeared after several additions to other folders. The other additions did not generate the error msg.

Nothing short of a Miracle.

Friday, April 6, 2007 8:55 PM
  •  

Sorry, the backend implementation to show the details of the error was not implemented for Beta2, but was done later.

The probable causes are:

1. Do you have files with path length greater than 255 characters in the failing folder (Music in your case)

3. Do you have more than one hard disk on your server? (I presume you have since you have 733 GB free)

Friday, April 6, 2007 9:46 PM
  •  FYI

I have the same error message with "Software".

Once I disable duplication on this Share the error message goes away and my server is happy again.

there have been similar post on this topic . will search for the links and post them here.

Saturday, April 7, 2007 12:06 AM
  • 1) Is this a real error message or an erroneous error message?

As far as I can tell the files aren't failing because of a bad disk or insufficient room, so in that case I *would* consider the message at least *misleading*, if not erroneous.  And I'm not the only one to report similar messages.

I'll have to check it in the next build... whenever that arrives.

The probable causes are:

This is a definite possibility given the long album names, artists, track names.  I'll have to see if shortening path names helps.  Where does the name begin?  Is it \\server\Music, or is it D:\ something on the server?  And if this is the cause, why is there such a limitation?

These are two new 500GB SATAs and I'm not seeing any errors elsewhere.  ChkDsk isn't reporting any problems. 

For duplication you need at least two. As noted above, I have two.

I'll double check but I believe the answer is no. 

I'll double check but I believe the answer is also no. By locked do you mean "read-only"? Why would that affect duplication?  I haven't touched anything directly on the server to affect one copy or another.  Or I suppose you could mean "in-use" by a user... should this affect duplication too?

So is it different than the other bugs reported with a title of "duplication failing"? 

Saturday, April 7, 2007 12:32 AM
  • I am having the exact same problem, yesterday I installed a 160Gig. There is 40Gig free on my primary 500.

I only asked for it to duplicate 10 Gig worth, and I had duplication errors on all the attempts.

I have since unchecked the folder duplication option, and will try again later, one at a time.

Dawg.

Tuesday, April 10, 2007 4:30 PM